Wednesday, May 1, 2024

Michigan State men's soccer falls to Akron Zips

The Spartans were shutout 2-0, only managing one shot on goal.

<p>Then senior forward Ryan Sierakowski (11) slides to keep the ball away from the defenders during the game against Akron on Dec. 7, 2018 at Harder Stadium. The Spartans fell to the Zips 5-1.</p>

Then senior forward Ryan Sierakowski (11) slides to keep the ball away from the defenders during the game against Akron on Dec. 7, 2018 at Harder Stadium. The Spartans fell to the Zips 5-1.

Michigan State men’s soccer fell to Akron 2-0 Tuesday evening. The Spartans were unable to answer the Zips' offensive push, as Akron was able to get up 14 shots over the game, and two found net.

The Spartans' offensive woes continued. Despite taking ten shots, they only managed one shot on goal.

Redshirt sophomore goalkeeper Hunter Morse saw five shots on goal, and allowed two through the net.   

The first half went in Akron’s favor as they were able to find the back of the net just minutes before the half ended. The first goal came in the thirty-seventh minute off the foot of Akron freshman Will Jackson.

Michigan State would go into the half as they have most games this season, goalless. 

At the end of the first half Akron sat up 1-0.

In the second period, Akron would score early. 

Their second goal was a long one, as junior David Egbo would score his fourth goal of the season from 30 out. The shot sailed past Morse and found the top of the net.

Akron would be able to keep the Spartans from generating any offense again in the last 45 minutes, completing a shutout.

At the end of 90 minutes, Akron would repeat the success they’ve had against the Spartans in recent years and secure a 2-0 win.

The Spartans will return home and to Big Ten conference play on Saturday Oct. 19 against Ohio State. Michigan State will kick off at 7:30 p.m. in front of their home crowd at DeMartin Stadium.

Share and discuss “Michigan State men's soccer falls to Akron Zips” on social media.