Halftime Thoughts: Tale of two starts and ends for Michigan State's offense and defense in first half

<p>MSU players celebrate following the game against Northwestern on Sept. 21, 2019 at Ryan Field. MSU defeated Northwestern, 31-10.</p>

MSU players celebrate following the game against Northwestern on Sept. 21, 2019 at Ryan Field. MSU defeated Northwestern, 31-10.

Photo by Connor Desilets | The State News

COLUMBUS, Ohio — No. 4 Ohio State leads No. 25 Michigan State 27-10 at the end of the first half at Ohio Stadium.

Michigan State had its chances to not only be within one possession, but maybe even hold a lead during the first two quarters. Instead, the Spartans trail by what may feel like an insurmountable deficit with the way the Buckeyes' offense finished the half.

Here are some quick thoughts from halftime in Columbus.

Defense comes out on fire while offense looks lost

Michigan State's defense came out with its head on fire and began the game as well as the Spartans could hope. The offense, however, came out timid and confused — and because of it, had the worst possible start MSU needed.

The Spartan defense put the pressure on Ohio State quarterback Justin Fields immediately, forcing him out of the pocket on OSU's second play from scrimmage and then finishing the drive off with a sack by Joe Bachie.

But, the Spartans fumbled away a crucial chance on its second play from scrimmage when Cody White had the ball dislodged from his grasp, and Malik Harrison scooped it up in MSU territory.

Michigan State's defense came up again, holding Ohio State's offense to a three-and-out, which was preceded by a missed 37-yard field goal by Blake Haubeil.

Two plays later, MSU fumbled again when Elijah Collins couldn't handle a pitch from Brian Lewerke. But, the Spartan defense held strong, as Haubeil gave the Buckeyes a 3-0 lead on a 39-yard field goal.

MSU moved the ball into Ohio State territory on its next offensive possession, but on a third-and-7, C.J. Hayes couldn't bring in a pass by Lewerke, despite the ball hitting his hands, forcing a Spartan punt.

Offense shows its chops

The Buckeyes took a 10-0 lead on a 60-yard touchdown pass from Fields to Binjimen Victor, after the senior receiver slipped into the secondary when David Dowell kept his eyes on fields in the backfield.

MSU needed an answer before the game got out of hand in a hurry, and the offense responded with a five-play, 75-yard drive in only 1:36.

Lewerke gained 13 yards on first down when he kept the ball on a read-option play. Two plays later, Collins found some daylight and gained 23 yards to move the possession into OSU territory. A 19-yard completion to Matt Seybert moved the ball to the Buckeyes' 20, and then Lewerke found a wide open Darrell Stewart Jr. for 20-yard touchdown to bring the Spartans within three points.

Role Reversal

The Spartans gave up 16 yards through the first quarter.

But, by the time MSU and Ohio State jogged into the locker room at halftime, the Buckeyes had scored 27 points and racked up almost 312 yards of offense.

The Spartans struggled to finish tackles through the second quarter, especially on two scoring plays by OSU. Fields connected with Luke Farrell at the 5-yard line, but Bachie failed to bring him down, and Farrell dragged the Spartan defender into the end zone to put OSU up 17-7.

Then, after a field goal by Matt Coghlin, J.K Dobbins busted through the MSU secondary and scored on a 67-yard run to blow the game up, putting Ohio State up 24-10.

As soon as MSU's offense got into gear, the defense wilted. And once it showed a sign of weakness, the Buckeyes pounced at the opportunity.

Share and discuss “Halftime Thoughts: Tale of two starts and ends for Michigan State's offense and defense in first half” on social media.