East Lansing Target can sell liquor before obtaining city license

<p>Target on Grand River Avenue, photographed on Aug. 12.</p>

Target on Grand River Avenue, photographed on Aug. 12.

Photo by Matt Zubik | The State News

East Lansing's Target will continue to sell carry-out liquor, as the East Lansing City Council granted them permission to keep selling as they go through the process of receiving a city permit.

Oftentimes, retailers recieve a state licesne, which is enough to begin selling in many Michigan areas, however East Lansing requires a city permit as well.

"The business owner thinks they've done the whole process by going to the state," said East Lansing City Manager George Lahanas.

Lahanas said it's important for East Lansing officials to be aware of which entities are selling liquor, which is why the city ordinance is in place.

However, Lahanas said the state's protocol needs further examination.

"In some way, I think the state is doing us a disservice and they're doing the business owner a disservice," Lahanas said.

This was the case with Target, who has several locations in Michigan.

"Nobody is trying to hide the ball here," said Target representative Michael Brown. "We're just playing catch-up with a process Target was not familiar with."

He said East Lansing is unique in requiring a secondary permit. Council members agreed this is an easy mistake to make.

"I never felt misled," said council member Ruth Beier. "I assumed this was going on, your explanation makes perfect sense. I think we should just move on."

Share and discuss “East Lansing Target can sell liquor before obtaining city license” on social media.