Report: Ex-president, other MSU officials failed to respond to and prevent abuse

Beaumont Tower on Aug. 23, 2019.
Beaumont Tower on Aug. 23, 2019. —
Photo by Annie Barker | The State News

The Office of Civil Rights opened an investigation into Michigan State's Title IX compliance in reference to Larry Nassar. It determined the university violated Title IX regulations by failing to respond to reports of sexual harassment and sexual assault by Larry Nassar and former Dean of the College of Osteopathic Medicine William Strampel, according to the office's report.

Following the release of this report that listed multiple people who will be reviewed for not following all then-applicable laws and university policies, Provost June Youatt — who is one of the individuals referenced — resigned.

President Samuel L. Stanley Jr. responded to the federal report as well, and accepted Youatt's resignation effective immediately.

MSU will also pay a record $4.5 million fine for these reporting failures.

This is a developing story. In our reporting, we'll focus on credible information from officials and other authorities and do our best to correct any inaccuracies. We'll continue to update this story, check back for more updates and keep up with us on Twitter @thesnews.

Read the full U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights report here:

Share and discuss “Report: Ex-president, other MSU officials failed to respond to and prevent abuse” on social media.