Provost June Youatt resigned Thursday morning amid the report following an investigation done by the U.S. Department of Educations's Office of Civil Rights, or OCR, stating that Michigan State failed to comply with Title IX regulations. This is in addition to a $4.5 million fine for failing to comply with the Clery Act Compliance Division.
President Samuel L. Stanley Jr. approved Youatt's resignation Thursday, according to a university press release.
The report listed multiple people who were to be reviewed for not following all then-applicable laws and university policies, including Youatt.
Other people under review include:
- Former president, Lou Anna K. Simon.
- The associate vice president for academic human resources.
- Employees of the Office of General Counsel.
- The former head coach of the women's gymnastics team, Kathie Klages.
Stanley also created an oversight committee responsible for ensuring that MSU follows the steps outlined in the agreements with the department and OCR, according to the release.
The committee is made up of:
- Marilyn Tarrant, team chair and associate vice president for the office of audit risk and compliance.
- Shannon Torres, assistant general counsel.
- Rebecca Campbell, chair of the relationship violence and sexual misconduct expert advisory workgroup.
- Andrea Munford, lieutenant with the MSU police department's center for trauma-informed investigative excellence.
University Spokesperson Emily Guerrant could not be contacted for a comment by the time of publication.
The Office of the Provost could also not be reached for comment.
This is a developing story. In our reporting, we'll focus on credible information from officials and other authorities and do our best to correct any inaccuracies. We'll continue to update this story, check back for more updates and keep up with us on Twitter @thesnews.
Do you want the news without having to hunt for it?
Sign up for our morning s'newsletter. It's everything your friends are talking about and then some. And it's free!
Share and discuss “Michigan State University Provost June Youatt resigns” on social media.