Michigan State offense looking for consistency to take next step

<p>Redshirt freshman running back Elijah Collins (24) gets tackled during the game against Northwestern at Ryan field on Sept. 21, 2019. MSU defeated Northwestern 31-10.</p>

Redshirt freshman running back Elijah Collins (24) gets tackled during the game against Northwestern at Ryan field on Sept. 21, 2019. MSU defeated Northwestern 31-10.

Photo by Connor Desilets | The State News

Through four weeks, Michigan State's offense has been as unpredictable as a 24-hour Michigan weather cycle.

Seven points against Tulsa. Fifty-one points against Western Michigan. Seven points against Arizona State. Twenty-eight points against Northwestern.

Staying course with that trend, the 25th-ranked Spartans should struggle when they host Indiana this Saturday for homecoming (3:30 p.m., BTN).

It however, is a pattern Michigan State (3-1, 1-0 Big Ten) is ready to buck with consistency.

“Thats what you’re working for, really every week, is to be consistent within a game and every game is going to be different from who you’re playing, their physicality and what your lineup is and those things," offensive coordinator Brad Salem said Tuesday after practice. "I'm just proud of how our guys responded after the Arizona State game.” 

The Spartans have struggled this season to finish drives in the red zone with touchdowns. Michigan State's response against Northwestern wasn't pretty and wasn't perfect. But, clearly, it was effective.

More so than anything it did against the Sun Devils.

The Spartans racked up over 330 yards, 75 of which came on an opening nine-play drive that ended in MSU's first touchdown, a 5-yard scamper by Elijah Collins. That's something the offense has made a habit of this season. They have scored on their opening drive in three of their four games this season, Arizona State being the one exception.

Michigan State converted on all five of its red zone opportunities against the Wildcats. Four of those resulted in touchdowns — two from quarterback Brian Lewerke to Matt Seybert, one to Cody White and one to Collins. It was a major step in the right direction for a unit that seemed to hurt itself as soon as it crossed midfield.

“I think just being consistent, not shooting ourselves in the foot," left tackle Tyler Higby said. "I think every game we have moved the ball, except maybe the first game. But we have moved the ball in every game. We know we can do it. We just have to believe and keep doing it and not shooting ourselves in the foot.” 

There was a dull period between MSU's first and last offensive drive where the consistency lacked, where the Spartans hurt themselves.

“Early in the game, we go down the field and score, first series. Then the next number of series we put ourselves back," Head Coach Mark Dantonio said during his Tuesday press conference. "We have a couple penalties. Right, wrong or indifferent, we have a couple penalties. We have a (tackle for loss) on a first down when we try and run a race. So all of the sudden we are behind the chains for a number of series.

"We get the interception, go down and score on a two-minute. But including that series, the next five series, we're down in the red zone or near the red zone with opportunities to score. I think that was a very good statement.” 

Without the penalties, and the sacks, missed field goals (one by Coghlin in the third quarter against Northwestern), the Spartans have been more than competent on offense. They have shown within games, like they did against the Wildcats, long stretches where scoring can be sustainable.

What has yet to be seen is if that stability can carry over from week to week.

"Again, I go back to what I said last week, consistency and performance," Dantonio said as he stacked his hands in the air. "I roll my arms just like Coach used to do, but that's what he always said and I believe it totally. You know, Coach Saban, consistency and performance, that's where you're going to have to do it over and over and over and be on the front end of things on a consistent basis."

Share and discuss “Michigan State offense looking for consistency to take next step” on social media.