MSU hires Kim Chavers as head rowing coach

<p>Emily Regan, fifth from right, helped the U.S. Rowing women's eight crew capture its tenth straight gold medal at the 2015 World Rowing Championships in Aiguebelette, France. USRowing/Allison Frederick</p>

Emily Regan, fifth from right, helped the U.S. Rowing women's eight crew capture its tenth straight gold medal at the 2015 World Rowing Championships in Aiguebelette, France. USRowing/Allison Frederick

Photo by Allison Frederick | and USRowing The State News

Kim Chavers has been hired as the new Spartans head women’s rowing coach as of Tuesday. Chavers, who will serve as the third head coach in program history, was a former collegiate rower herself and comes to MSU after assisting the rowing coaching staffs at Old Dominion, Indiana and Stetson.

Per an msuspartans.com press release, Chavers said that she hopes her coaching will “assist athletes with developing the fundamentals of rowing and a commitment to competitive performance." She also added that she hopes to “enable” her athletes “to communicate, develop a strong sense of individual accountability, and to take responsibility for their personal and athletic growth beyond their time with our team.”

Chavers most recently served as the 2018-19 assistant coach at Old Dominion University, but she also worked as the head recruiter for novice and walk-on athletes at Indiana University and the head recruiter and assistant coach at Stetson University.

As reported by msuspartans.com, Athletic Director Bill Beekman said that Chavers “has a passion and determination to be successful and build Michigan State rowing into one of the top programs not only in the conference, but also the nation. But more importantly, she has a strong commitment to develop our student-athletes, not only as rowers, but as leaders who will experience success in life long after their competitive pursuits are done.”

After graduating from Marietta College in 2008, Chavers went on to earn a doctorate degree in Physical Therapy from Northeastern University in 2012 and a masters degree in sport coaching leadership with a concentration in rowing from Drexel University in 2019. 

Chavers radiates her academic strength to her teams, proven by the 22 members of the Old Dominion University team who earned Academic All-AAC Honors and 61 awards of Academic Big Ten Honors at Indiana University, all under her reign on their coaching staffs.

“I'm thrilled to get started with the team and return to the Big Ten Conference. During my visit, the enthusiasm and commitment to Women's Rowing by Michigan State Athletics was obvious and one I'm eager to contribute to. I'm excited for the opportunity to lead a program with such strong potential and support from its leadership,” Chavers said.

Share and discuss “MSU hires Kim Chavers as head rowing coach” on social media.