Connor Heyward not dressed for MSU against Indiana

<p>Then-junior running back Connor Heyward (11) is tackled during the game against Arizona State on Sept. 14, 2019 at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans fell to the Sun Devils, 10-7.</p>

Then-junior running back Connor Heyward (11) is tackled during the game against Arizona State on Sept. 14, 2019 at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans fell to the Sun Devils, 10-7.

Photo by Matt Schmucker | The State News

Michigan State's running back depth took a hit Saturday with junior Connor Heyward’s absence from the dress list against Indiana.

Heyward was the Spartans' starting running back to begin the year in Michigan State's opening week win against Tulsa. He recorded 43 yards on 15 carries while adding 28 yards on three receptions. But since then, his role in the Spartan offense has diminished due to the emergence of redshirt freshman Elijah Collins. Heyward has only recorded nine carries in MSU's last three games (three each game) for 36 yards, while adding four catches for 24 yards.

In that same span, Collins has rushed for 340 yards and two touchdowns on 53 carries as the new solidified No. 1 back for the Spartans.

Following the 25th-ranked Spartans 40-31 win over the Hoosiers, Dantonio stated that Heyward missed the game due to personal reasons. Speculation surrounding the junior running back centered on either a possible redshirt since he had only played four games this year and didn't use one his freshman season, or a possible entry into the transfer portal after junior linebacker Brandon Bouyer-Randle made that decision earlier this week.

Bouyer-Randle, obviously did not dress against the Hoosiers.

"It's gonna happen, in this day in age these things are going to happen," Dantonio said regarding Bouyer-Randle. "I'm just trying to be understanding with people and allow them to make decision that they need to make. I'm not going to hold anybody hostage or anything like that. People want to play a little bit more, think they have an opportunity at another place, than sometimes they have to make those decisions.

"It's unfortunate, I didn't want him to do that, but this is life in 2019."

Wideout Weston Bridges did not dress as well. Dantonio sited that due to a minor team rules issue and he "had to be off the sideline for this game"

Michigan State (4-1, 2-0 Big Ten), travel to Columbus to take on No. 25 Ohio State next Saturday (7:30 p.m., ABC).

This story will be updated when more information is provided.

Share and discuss “Connor Heyward not dressed for MSU against Indiana” on social media.