Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Athletic Director Bill Beekman fires women's rowing coach Matt Weise

<p>Bill Beekman speaks at a July 16, 2018, press conference announcing his appointment as MSU&#x27;s permanent athletic director.</p>

Bill Beekman speaks at a July 16, 2018, press conference announcing his appointment as MSU's permanent athletic director.

Photo by Katie O'Brien Kelley | The State News

Michigan State Athletic Director Bill Beekman fired women's rowing coach Matt Weise this week, the Lansing State Journal reports.

Weise's firing comes about a year and a half after roughly 50 members of the rowing team marched to the Hannah Administration Building to discuss university policy changes with administration officials. The members sought policy changes in the wake of Larry Nassar's sentencing.

Nassar served as the team doctor for women’s rowing from 1998 to 2016.

Beekman informed Weise on Tuesday morning that he sought a different direction for the rowing program, athletic department spokesman Matt Larson said.

Samantha Sarff will become the interim director for the team while the department conducts a national search for a replacement.

Weise was with the rowing program for 20 years and a head coach for nearly 15 seasons.

As of publication, MSU spokesperson Emily Guerrant could not be reached for comment.

Share and discuss “Athletic Director Bill Beekman fires women's rowing coach Matt Weise” on social media.