Wednesday, October 20, 2021

Student expresses artistic self through makeup

Genetics junior Michaella Andersen uses her phone to take a photo at her home in East Lansing on April 15, 2019. Andersen started drawing elaborate looks on her face a year ago and usually spends 4 to 6 hours on them, with the longest look taking her 7 hours to complete. (Nic Antaya/The State News)
Genetics junior Michaella Andersen uses her phone to take a photo at her home in East Lansing on April 15, 2019. Andersen started drawing elaborate looks on her face a year ago and usually spends 4 to 6 hours on them, with the longest look taking her 7 hours to complete. (Nic Antaya/The State News) —
Photo by Nic Antaya | The State News

Genetics junior Michaella Andersen likes to draw weird things on her face.

She expresses her artistic self through makeup.

“I like that it’s just whatever I want it to be. I’m not under pressure to draw what anyone else wants,” Andersen said. “It’s just whatever I feel the most inspired by.”

These bursts of inspirations often take between 4 and 6 hours – the longest took Andersen 7 hours to paint.

Often times, her ideas come from other makeup artists on Instagram.

Instagram is a place where she, too, inspires other makeup artists. She shares her work through her Instagram feed, where she has grown her following to more the 3,600 followers in less than a year.

“I hope to gain enough of a following to be able to make income and live sustainably off that,” Andersen said. “That would be a dream come true. Otherwise, I’ll be doing genetics. Which is still fine, too, because I love it.”

Do you want the news without having to hunt for it? Sign up for our morning s'newsletter. It's everything your friends are talking about and then some. And it's free!

Share and discuss “Student expresses artistic self through makeup ” on social media.