ELPD: 10 fires, 23 arrests after MSU's Final Four loss

Police form a barrier on Grand River after MSU's 61-51 loss to Texas Tech on April 6, 2019, in East Lansing.
Police form a barrier on Grand River after MSU's 61-51 loss to Texas Tech on April 6, 2019, in East Lansing. —
Photo by Sylvia Jarrus | The State News

Fans threw glass bottles, blocked traffic, damaged street signs and set 10 "small" fires around East Lansing following MSU's Final Four loss to Texas Tech Saturday, according to a press release from the East Lansing Police Department.

A crowd of 1,200 to 1,500 people gathered in Cedar Village and were met with a wall of police officers in riot gear.

Gatherers made their way to Grand River Avenue and blocked traffic for about 30 minutes before police dispersed the crowd.

ELPD reported 23 arrests, including one felony. Some officers were filming the crowd.

The department reported Wednesday that law enforcement would be monitoring social media and local news to identify individuals participating in unlawful gatherings.

The East Lansing Fire Department and other agencies around the area responded to 10 fires consisting of small pieces of furniture, according to the release. There were reportedly no significant crowds gathered around the fires.

ELPD and MSU Interim President Satish Udpa put out a notice warning against destructive celebrations. A large police presence monitored East Lansing, with departments on watch including:

• Michigan State Police.
  • Meridian Township Police Department.
  • Lansing Police Department.
  • Michigan State University Police Department.
  • Ingham County Sheriff’s Office and Mounted Unit.
  • Eaton County Sheriff’s Office.
  • Clinton County Sheriff’s Office. 

ELPD reported two street signs and a police van were the only damaged property for the night.

Stay with The State News for continued coverage of the disturbances after MSU's Final Four loss.

Share and discuss “ELPD: 10 fires, 23 arrests after MSU's Final Four loss” on social media.