Student Services Building evacuated

ASMSU President Katherine "Cookie" Rifiotis addresses a committee during an ASMSU meeting on Jan. 24, 2019, at the Student Services Building.

UPDATE 4:28 p.m. Student Services was evacuated because of an accidental discharge of pepper spray Tuesday afternoon, according to a post from Michigan State University Police.

Student Services has been evacuated as of Tuesday afternoon. Police and fire units are evaluating the situation.

MSU Police officers on location said a fire alarm had been pulled and the situation was being assessed. Firefighters were also on scene. Evacuated students and staff stood in groups around the building.

MSU Sexual Assault Program Director Tana Fedewa was among those evacuated from the building. Fedewa said she smelled what felt like a chemical substance on the way to the program's suite on the second floor.

"Immediately, it was a wall of — like, I couldn't breathe, it was in the back of my throat," Fedewa said. "I heard people say 'pull the fire alarm,' and I saw people ... covering their mouths and trying to get to the fire alarm."

Student Services is home to Associated Students of Michigan State University, or ASMSU, the MSU Sexual Assault Program, the MSU Office of Financial Aid and others.

Share and discuss “Student Services Building evacuated” on social media.