East Lansing Roller Derby to play against Windsor Roller Derby

<p>The East Lansing Mitten Mavens are a women's roller derby group based in East Lansing. Photo courtesy of East Lansing Roller Derby.&nbsp;</p>

The East Lansing Mitten Mavens are a women's roller derby group based in East Lansing. Photo courtesy of East Lansing Roller Derby. 

Need plans for Spring Break? See the East Lansing Roller Derby play in a home bout. 

Held at Court One Training Center in East Lansing, the East Lansing Mitten Mavens women's roller derby team will be playing against the Windsor Roller Derby on Saturday. 

“We started and formed in East Lansing in 2013. We held our first practices at Demonstration Hall, actually," Head Coach of the Mitten Mavens Ali Jahr said. "We have a close tie with East Lansing, but since 2010, we’ve been busy growing and connecting with the East Lansing community." 

Jahr said the organization now has nearly 50 members and two different teams, including Mitten Mavens — the travel team — and the Broadbarians — the learning and development team.

The bout starts at 7 p.m., and doors open at 6 p.m. Tickets cost $10 at the door and $8 if ordered online. Jahr said they are also offering a $2 discount for anyone who brings feminine hygiene products for donation.

Helping Women Period — a local organization that provides menstrual products to homeless or low-income people — will have a booth set up at the event. They will be collecting donations and raising awareness with the help of the Mitten Mavens.

The East Lansing Roller Derby bouts are separated into two thirty-minute parts.

“It’s a full contact, five versus five on the track sport," Jahr said. 

The next home bout will be held April 13 at the same location. 

Share and discuss “East Lansing Roller Derby to play against Windsor Roller Derby ” on social media.