Temporary healing assistance fund will reimburse survivors soon

Trustee Diane Byrum answers questions from the media during a press conference with Trustee Melanie Foster on June 27, 2018 in the Plant and Soil Sciences Building.  Their conference laid out the Board of Trustees' timeline for selecting a new president.
Trustee Diane Byrum answers questions from the media during a press conference with Trustee Melanie Foster on June 27, 2018 in the Plant and Soil Sciences Building. Their conference laid out the Board of Trustees' timeline for selecting a new president. —
Photo by Matt Schmucker | The State News

An interim healing assistance fund will open to support and reimburse survivors of Larry Nassar while discussions on a permanent fund continue, the MSU Board of Trustees announced at its Friday meeting.

Chair of the Board of Trustees Dianne Byrum said the fund will reopen under the parameters of the original fund, closed by former Interim President John Engler in December. Those who continued to receive treatment after the last fund closed will be reimbursed under the temporary fund, Byrum said.

“The board has met with survivors and their families and consulted with the Relationship Violence and Sexual Misconduct Expert Advisory Workgroup on this topic, and we will continue our work on this issue to support those who need help,” Byrum said in her statement.

A website with more information and instructions on receiving reimbursement will launch in the coming days, Byrum said.

“We hope and encourage all those who need mental health support to utilize this fund and support,” Byrum said in her statement.

Share and discuss “Temporary healing assistance fund will reimburse survivors soon” on social media.