Spartans struggle on road against Wisconsin

Junior guard Taryn McCutcheon (4) draws contact during the game against Indiana on Feb.11, 2019. The Spartans lead the Hoosiers 33-30 at halftime.
Junior guard Taryn McCutcheon (4) draws contact during the game against Indiana on Feb.11, 2019. The Spartans lead the Hoosiers 33-30 at halftime. —
Photo by CJ Weiss | The State News

The struggle on the road remains evident as the No. 24 Spartans(17-7, 7-6 Big Ten) fell 79-62 to the Badgers (12-13, 3-10 Big Ten) last night at the Kohl Center. Wisconsin started with an 8-0 run and outscored Michigan State 22-8 at the end of the first period. The Spartans would add 19 points in the second quarter to make the halftime score 27-46. 

MSU never led the game, but the Spartans attempt at a fourth quarter comeback and fell short as the Badgers prevailed on their home turf. 

The attempted comeback was fueled by the team shooting 11-12 at the free throw line. The Spartans ended up with 11 points off of turnovers and 24 points in the paint. 

At the end of the night, the Spartans shot 30.3 percent from the field, 23.8 percent from three point range and 77.3 percent from the line. 

Redshirt junior guard Shay Colley led with a team high 40 minutes, 24 points and nine rebounds. Freshman guard Nia Clouden had 16 points while redshirt junior forward Victoria Gaines had the team high 12 rebounds. 

The Badgers were led by senior forward Marsha Howard’s 28 points and senior guard Kelly Karlis’ 13 points, 10 rebounds and five blocks. Wisconsin shot 42.4 percent from the field, 35.7 percent from behind the arch and 77.4 percent from the line. 

MSU will travel to Nebraska on Feb. 17, completing their last stretch of three games in a span of a week. 

Share and discuss “Spartans struggle on road against Wisconsin ” on social media.