Hoops notes: Izzo talks Ward injury, previews Rutgers

Senior guard Matt McQuaid (20) drives to the net during the men's basketball game against Ohio State at Breslin Center on Feb. 17, 2019. The Spartans defeated the Buckeyes, 62-44. Nic Antaya/The State News
Senior guard Matt McQuaid (20) drives to the net during the men's basketball game against Ohio State at Breslin Center on Feb. 17, 2019. The Spartans defeated the Buckeyes, 62-44. Nic Antaya/The State News —
Photo by Nic Antaya | The State News

Michigan State coach Tom Izzo met with reporters Monday to preview Wednesday night’s Rutgers game. The main topic was the left hand of junior forward Nick Ward, broken in Sunday’s win over Ohio State. Ward underwent surgery Sunday night and will be re-evaluated on a weekly basis, but seems likely to miss significant time.

Izzo talked about how the team will have to replace Ward, including more from players like sophomore forward Xavier Tillman and freshman forward Thomas Kithier. He also spoke about the team remaining focused this week with the Michigan Wolverines on the horizon.

Izzo was asked who needs to contribute more, but wouldn't single anyone out.

“Just about everybody," Izzo said. "As I told my team today, I went through the list. I’ve asked each guy to maybe upgrade their scoring a point or two, downgrade their turnovers one or two, look at what Nick gave us inside and then what he gave us in other areas, what he didn’t give us as well,” he said. “If we can become a better screening team, if we can do some things there, if we can turn it over less.” 

He discussed the increased role of Tillman, who will likely take Ward’s starting spot. While Tillman has played some in the low post, he also often plays in the high post with Ward down low. Izzo was asked how he will be used without the bigger Ward in the lineup alongside him.

“We will try to take advantage of his strengths, not gonna put a round peg in a square hole. I’m not gonna try to make him Nick Ward because he’s not that in the post,” Izzo said. “What I want to make him is a better Xavier Tillman and realize that he still has to spend more time down there if for no other reason rebounding the basketball.”

Kithier has given the Spartans a recent boost, contributing positively when called upon. The freshman, who sat out his senior high school season after a controversial MHSAA ruling about his transfer, has not played more than 18 minutes this season. 

“Thomas has been Steady Eddie," Izzo said. "He just keeps doing his job every day. He’s been on the scout team the whole year, he’s battling against Nick, he’s battling against Xavier, that’s a lot to battle against on an everyday basis. ...What I’ve learned about Thomas Kithier is he’s one of the smarter players I’ve got. He picks up things real quick, he understands what to do defensively. He half-fronted (Ohio State forward Kaleb) Wesson, he hipped him, he played behind, he just worked. What is his role? I don’t know. It all depends on Xavier, foul trouble, conditioning. He’s gonna play. They’re probably all gonna play. How much? I don’t have a crystal ball.”

The No. 10 Spartans (21-5, 12-3 Big Ten) face Rutgers (12-13, 5-10 Big Ten) at Breslin Center Wednesday night. Michigan State won the team’s first matchup in Piscataway, 78-67, on Nov. 30, 2018. 

Share and discuss “Hoops notes: Izzo talks Ward injury, previews Rutgers” on social media.