Hirose named Big Ten Second Star of the Week

Junior wing Taro Hirose (17) pins the puck against the boards during the game against Wisconsin on Feb. 2, 2019. The Spartans trail the Badgers 1-0 at the end of the first period.
Junior wing Taro Hirose (17) pins the puck against the boards during the game against Wisconsin on Feb. 2, 2019. The Spartans trail the Badgers 1-0 at the end of the first period. —
Photo by CJ Weiss | The State News

With junior forward Taro Hirose leading the NCAA in both points (46) and assists (31), he was named Big Ten Second Star of the Week on Tuesday. Hirose had four points, which included two goals and two assists, in a win and tie against Wisconsin last weekend. 

This is Hirose's fourth career weekly award, and was last named a Big Ten Star of the Week back on Jan. 15. 

This is the most recent award for MSU since sophomore forward Mitchell Lewandowski was named the Big Ten Second Star of the Week back on Jan. 22. This is also the second time in two weeks that Hirose has won one of the conference's weekly awards. 

The Spartans will travel to Ann Arbor to take on the Wolverines this Friday and then travel to Little Caesars Arena in Detroit to take them on again on Saturday for the annual Duel in the D. 

Share and discuss “Hirose named Big Ten Second Star of the Week” on social media.