Even though it's only the beginning of the spring semester, it's never too early to start planning ahead for the next school year. Here are a few undergraduate scholarships offered by MSU's largest colleges:
1. Broad College of Business: The College of Business offers over $250,000 in scholarships every spring. They are offered through the departments of Accounting and Information Systems, Finance and Supply Chain Management. Scholarships are also being offered through several corporations including AFN Logistics, Boeing Company, BP and Ford Motor Company.
Students must meet the following requirements to be eligible for scholarships: must be admitted to the Broad College of Business by the end of the semester, must have at least 24 credits by the end of the semester and must have a minimum 3.0 GPA.
Applications are open from Feb. 1 to April. 15.
2. College of Engineering: The College of Engineering offers about $600,000 in scholarships every year for undergraduate students. Scholarships are both general and discipline based, and are also given out based on a student's involvement in extracurricular activities as well.
Students must meet the following requirements to be eligible: must have a FAFSA on file for the 2018-2019 school year, must be a full-time student and must have a minimum 3.0 GPA.
Applications close on Feb. 28.
In order to qualify for general scholarships, students must be full-time MSU students, must have a minimum 3.0 GPA and have a FAFSA on file.
General applications close on Jan. 31.
Research-based scholarships require students to conduct research for eight to 10 hours a week during the school year and 20 hours during the summer. They are also expected to present their findings at a research forum.
Applications for spring are due Jan. 15, and applications for summer April 1.
4. College of Social Science: The College of Social Science offers many scholarships for its' undergraduate students. Students interested in research can apply for the Dean's Assistantship and Andrew Undergraduate Fellowship by March. 1.
Those who are pursuing internships in public policy are eligible for the Gordon and Norman Guyer Public Policy Internship Award which is $1,000. Applications are due March. 15.
There are also a number of scholarships for study away and study abroad funding. To apply, students must be attending the university full time, meet the class standing requirement and have a FAFSA on file.
5. College of Communication Arts and Sciences: The College of Communication Arts and Sciences offers scholarships at both the college and department level.
For the College of Communication Arts and Sciences scholarship, students must have a minimum 3.0 GPA to apply and a declared major in the college. Applications are due Jan. 23.
The Study Abroad-Away Scholarship is for students with a declared major in the College of Communication Arts and Science and a minimum 2.5 GPA. Applications for fall 2019 are due March. 18, and application for spring 2020 are due Oct. 31.
The due dates for departmental scholarships are as follows:
- Advertising and PR scholarships are due Feb. 8
- Communication scholarship applications open this month
- Communicative Sciences and Disorders scholarships are given by academic advisors in the department
- Media and Information scholarships are due Feb. 11
- School of Journalism scholarships are due Jan. 20
Individual requirements for departmental scholarships can be found on their respective websites.
If you don't see your college mentioned here — don't panic. You can always check the MSU Scholarships website for information on what the university has to offer.