Michigan State announces 2019 spring football game

Michigan State’s spring football game is set to kick off Saturday, April 13 at 2 p.m at Spartan Stadium. 

The Green and White scrimmage offers the first look at the prospective 2019-20 team as they look to improve on the 7-6 record.

While the Spartans don’t return as many starters as last year, Mark Dantonio retains skills at both sides of the ball, namely on a defense that ranked No. 1 against the run in 2018. The defense returns eight starters and the offense will return at least seven.

Even with starting cornerback Justin Layne declaring for the NFL draft, the stout defense returns a multitude of talent, as linebacker Joe Bachie, defensive tackle Raequan Williams, and defensive end Kenny Willekes each announced they will return for their senior year.

Brian Lewerke will likely start his third season under center, as health concerns restricted his progress this season. Leading rusher Connor Heyward and leading receivers Darrell Stewart and Cody White will look to improve the underwhelming offensive production from 2018.

Details regarding the spring game and the youth clinic will be released closer to the kickoff date. 

The Spartans begin spring practice on Tuesday, March 12.

Share and discuss “Michigan State announces 2019 spring football game” on social media.