E.L. District Court receives high marks in public satisfaction survey

The 54B District Court on July 3, 2018.
The 54B District Court on July 3, 2018. —
Photo by Annie Barker | The State News

Nearly 100 percent of East Lansing 54-B District Court users feel court staff treated them with courtesy and respect during their visits, a survey administered by the court found.

Courts across Michigan performed surveys as part of the Michigan Supreme Court and State Court Administrative Office's initiative to evaluate court experiences and communicate findings to the public, according to a press release. 

Court users were asked if they were treated with respect by court staff and if the court was fair and accessible. Ninety-eight percent said court staff were respectful, the release stated.

Andrea Andrews Larkin, the court's chief judge, said she is proud of the staff and the organization is dedicated to the continuation of fairness and timeliness of justice.

“Our court serves the people, so their views are critically important in helping us make decisions on how to improve court operations,” Larkin said in a statement.

The survey found 95 percent of court users felt their case was handled fairly by the judge or magistrate and 94 percent of court users said the timeframe was reasonable to get their business done.

The survey was completed by jurors, attorneys, parties to cases and treatment court participants. The release stated data from the survey is meant to help courts improve and provide feedback for employees.

The survey sets the standard for the court’s strides toward high quality customer service, 54-B District Court Administrator Nicole Evans said.

“Access to justice and fair treatment goes hand in hand and is consistent with our goal,” Evans said. “We cannot guarantee a favorable outcome, but we strive to ensure every person who interacts with the court is treated with fairness and respect.”

This article has been edited to reflect a correction issued by the city of East Lansing in regards to the data reported in the survey.

Share and discuss “E.L. District Court receives high marks in public satisfaction survey” on social media.