Michigan State football to face Oregon in Redbox Bowl

Get ready to break out the shorts. Michigan State football will play Oregon in the Redbox Bowl on New Year's Eve at Levi's Stadium in Santa Clara, California.

This is MSU's first appearance in the Redbox Bowl, which kicks off at 3 p.m. ET on FOX. Tickets for the Redbox Bowl can be purchased here.

"Very excited about the opportunity to go to San Francisco, place that our players have not been," MSU coach Mark Dantonio said in a teleconference Sunday. "I think it's an outstanding  Oregon team. Outstanding quarterback in Justin Herbert, and Mario Cristobal is an outstanding coach in his first year out there — 8-4 team."

The Spartans (7-5, 5-4 in Big Ten) are 3-3 all time against the Ducks (8-4, 5-4 in Pac-12), with the last matchup at Spartan Stadium in 2015 and resulting in a MSU 31-28 win.

"We've got a little bit of history with Oregon having played them in 2014 and 2015," Dantonio said. "So we're looking forward to the matchup, and looking forward to the bowl experience. Our players will be ready to go and we'll start working on them immediately."

This is the Spartans' 11th bowl appearance under Dantonio, winning five out of the last six appearances, most recently for the 2017-18 season with a win over Washington State in the Holiday Bowl, 42-17.

Along with MSU, eight other Big Ten teams will play in bowl games: No. 6 Ohio State (Rose Bowl), No. 7 Michigan (Peach Bowl), No. 12 Penn State (Citrus Bowl), No. 22 Northwestern (Holiday Bowl), Iowa (Outback Bowl), Wisconsin (Pinstripe Bowl), Purdue (Music City Bowl), and Minnesota (Quick Lane Bowl).

Share and discuss “Michigan State football to face Oregon in Redbox Bowl” on social media.