MSU's campus is turning into an 'advanced mobility ecosystem'

Beaumont Tower on July 30, 2018.
Beaumont Tower on July 30, 2018. —
Photo by Annie Barker | The State News

MSU is transforming its 5,200-acre campus into a live, connected ecosystem to drive mobility and research, according to a university press release.

Much of the transformation is complete, the release said, which makes testing emerging technologies for new mobility solutions much easier. Along with advancing technology, MSU is taking an "interdisciplinary approach to the many complex factors associated with evolving transportation," according to the release.

“As a top-tier research institution, we are well equipped to advance mobility by leveraging our campus-wide expertise and collaborating with strong industry partnerships,” Satish Udpa, MSU’s executive vice president for administrative services, said in the press release. “We are excited to showcase this holistic approach and invite partners to join us as we work to revolutionize the way people and goods move throughout the world.”

Real world testing is crucial to understanding how different populations, businesses and urban planning could be affected, the release said.

“MSU’s campus is unrivaled in scope, size and diverse mobility environments, providing an ideal testing ground and validation site. Studying mobility on football or basketball game days, for example, will provide great insights on solutions for safely and efficiently navigating through densely crowded areas,” Leo Kempel, dean of MSU’s College of Engineering, said in the release “In addition to using the campus as an ecosystem for research and development of technologies, we are looking to develop the future of human-centric, multi-modal mobility.”

MSU’s campus has many other leading technologies, including cybersecurity and data updates, smart parking systems and ongoing vehicle-to-vehicle and vehicle-to-infrastructure communication.

"The technology, solutions and processes tested and validated using MSU’s campus will help ensure the future of mobility creates safe, reliable, convenient and accessible transportation for all," the press release said. 

Share and discuss “MSU's campus is turning into an 'advanced mobility ecosystem'” on social media.