Saturday, October 19, 2024

Ward named to Kareem Abdul-Jabbar Award Preseason Watch list

Sophomore forward Nick Ward (44) smiles after talking with Michigan State’s head coach Tom Izzo during the men's basketball game against Maryland on Jan. 4, 2018 at Breslin Center. The Spartans defeated the Terrapins, 91-61. (Nic Antaya | The State News)

Michigan State men's basketball forward Nick Ward was named to the 2019 Kareem Abdul-Jabbar Award Preseason Watch list Friday. The annual award that goes out to the top center in college basketball. 

Ward's name is listed along with 20 other candidates from schools across the nation. Ward is one of three Big Ten candidates, along with Wisconsin's Ethan Happ and Maryland's Jalen Smith.

After a strong 2017-18 season in which Ward averaged 12.4 points on 64.8 percent from the floor while pulling down over seven rebounds per contest, he declared for the NBA Draft only to withdraw a month before and opting to return to MSU for his junior season.

Ward will get his first chance to showcase his skills in less than two weeks at the Breslin Center, where the Spartans will host Northern Michigan for an exhibition game. 

Share and discuss “Ward named to Kareem Abdul-Jabbar Award Preseason Watch list” on social media.