Rivalry week events outside of football

<p>Toledo, Ohio, resident Brenda Rafac, left, and Dublin, Ohio, resident Laurie Adolph, whose first cousin is Becky Dantonio, tailgates with friends on Nov. 21, 2015 outside Ohio Stadium in Columbus, Ohio before the OSU/MSU football game.</p>

Toledo, Ohio, resident Brenda Rafac, left, and Dublin, Ohio, resident Laurie Adolph, whose first cousin is Becky Dantonio, tailgates with friends on Nov. 21, 2015 outside Ohio Stadium in Columbus, Ohio before the OSU/MSU football game.

Photo by Julia Nagy | The State News

Rivalry week between MSU and the University of Michigan generates a lot of  excitement on both campuses. For some students, sports might not be  their thing. For others, game day is just a little too loud and crazy.  If you’re looking to stay involved on campus during the weekend of the  rivalry game — but don’t want to go too hard — here are some events to  check out.

Alex’s Great State Race  

A group of MSU and U-M ROTC cadets will meet at Michigan Football Stadium  Oct. 19 to be presented with Saturday’s game ball. The cadets, along  with Michigan Supreme Court Justice Richard Bernstein and Lt. Gov. Brian  Calley, will run the ball along 64 miles of back roads from Ann Arbor  to the Spartan Statue in East Lansing. 

This annual race was named after Alex Powell, a former MSU student and  patient at U-M’s hospital. The race honors Powell but also supports MSU’s Resource Center for Persons with Disabilities and U-M’s Services for Students with Disabilities.  

Students, friends and family are invited to the start of the race in Ann Arbor.  The race will close out with a Landing Ceremony at MSU’s Demonstration  Hall at noon.

For more information about the race, visit alexsgreatstaterace.org.

MSU vs. U-M Sober Tailgate

MSU’s Collegiate Recovery Community (CRC) will host a sober tailgate from 9  a.m. to 12 p.m. at the Psychology Building Oct. 20. There will be free  food, games and the opportunity to meet new people. 

Students attending the game are welcome to stop by beforehand. This event is  open to CRC students, families and friends of CRC. Because this is a sober tailgate, event guidelines will be in place to maintain a safe and  healthy atmosphere out of respect to MSU students in recovery. 

Any forms of alcohol or drugs will not be permitted at the event and those  present while under the influence will be asked to leave. 

The Culinary Throwdown

Eat at State and Michigan Dining will be competing in their fourth annual Culinary Throwdown at 8:30 a.m. Oct. 20.

Students can find all the action on the basketball courts west of Shaw Hall,  where chefs from both schools will compete “Iron Chef” style in three  rounds of cooking. This year, MSU will be represented by student chefs Jammie Simmons and Megan Dowell, executive chefs Dien Ly and Eric Batten  and corporate executive chef Kurt Kwiatkowski. 

There will be complimentary tailgate food including sliders, macaroni and cheese, vegan lentil cups, breakfast burritos and more. 

Halloween Bash

MSU’s Honors College Activities Board is hosting their Halloween Bash in  Eustace Cole Hall on campus. In the spirit of Halloween, there will be  seasonal festivities including pumpkin carving, cookie decorating, fall  crafts and a costume contest. Food and candy will also be available and  students are encouraged to dress in their Halloween best. This event is free and those interested in carving or decorating a pumpkin can reserve one online. 

Share and discuss “Rivalry week events outside of football” on social media.