MSU football's win over Purdue one of most 'rewarding' in Dantonio era

Head coach Mark Dantonio smiles while being interviewed after the game against Purdue on Oct. 27, 2018 at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans defeated the Boilermakers 23-13.
Head coach Mark Dantonio smiles while being interviewed after the game against Purdue on Oct. 27, 2018 at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans defeated the Boilermakers 23-13. —
Photo by CJ Weiss | The State News

When Mark Dantonio took the podium after Michigan State’s 23-13 win over Purdue, he was asked a question about redshirt freshman quarterback Rocky Lombardi's career performance (27-of-48 for 327 yards and two touchdowns) in place of an injured Brian Lewerke. 

But the Spartans' head coach went off-topic, and instead talked about the importance of his team's win over the Boilermakers. 

“We just kept playing, kept momentum on our side and we enlarged our territory a little bit today,” Dantonio said. “People took notice today. People all across the country took notice that the Spartans got up and played against a good football team that just had a huge win last week.”

The Boilermakers (4-4, 3-2 in Big Ten) came off a 49-20 win against No. 11 Ohio State, while the Spartans (5-3, 3-2) were looking to bounce back after falling to No. 5 Michigan (7-1, 5-0) 21-7.

And MSU had Lewerke, wide receiver Cody White (broken left hand) — who Dantonio said he expects to have back next week — Felton Davis III (season-ending torn left Achilles), starting guards David Beedle (unknown left arm) and Kevin Jarvis (unknown) among others, sitting out against the Boilermakers. 

“Felton had surgery yesterday,” safety David Dowell said. “Some guys FaceTimed him, I texted him and made sure that he was good. He told us to ‘Go out and ball tomorrow.’ And we were able to pull out a win for him.”

MSU found a way to win behind Lombardi and a defense which limited a Purdue offense to just 13 points, 36 less than they had against the Buckeyes the week before.

“My mentality was to contain their top guys, if we contained them and let our other guys make big plays, we would have a big game and we knew we would have a chance to win,” said Dowell, who had six assisted tackles and an interception on Purdue’s game-opening drive.

The Spartans neutralized an offense led by quarterback David Blough (29-of-49 for 277 yards and three interceptions) and stud wide receiver Rondale Moore (11 catches for 74 yards), who safety Khari Willis covered for most of the game.

“I'm real proud of them, there's no doubt about it,” defensive coordinator Mike Tressel said. “You watch Purdue on film all week and it's scary. They are explosive, obviously Rondale Moore is a great player, and the quarterback has been playing awesome. A whole bunch of trick plays and gadgets, they're very explosive. I'm real proud of the guys.”

All resulting in what Dantonio called one of the biggest wins in his 12-year tenure in East Lansing.

“Big moment, really a big moment and I can tell you that I guess, I don't know, 105 (career wins), so that is 105 and this could be as rewarding of a win maybe in our time here,” Dantonio said. “When everybody was sort of selling us short, we got up and went. That is sports and that is athletics and that is what makes athletics so unique to everything else. There are the intangibles that are difficult to measure.”

Dantonio’s message got across to his players, as well, instilling that everybody was against MSU in Saturday’s game.

“Coach D. told us that as Spartan Dawgs 'some people will doubt you and some people will count you out,’" said wide receiver Darrell Stewart Jr., who had four receptions for 60 yards and a touchdown. “But at the same time, you got to be able to trust your family which is our team and come out and push hard and go get the win. That's exactly what we did today.”

And tight end Matt Dotson said this team still has the family mentality Stewart mentioned, which is implemented by Dantonio, coaches and players. He also talked about the team's mentality towards not being afraid of opponents and challenges. 

“We’re not backing down from anybody, it doesn’t matter who you are,” said Dotson, who had a season-high four catches for 48 yards. “We’re coming out swinging, every single quarter, every single game, every week.”

Willis said Saturday’s win against the Boilermakers was a “collective win versus a very worthy opponent.” 

A win that Willis said hopefully carries momentum into against Maryland (5-3, 3-2) Saturday at College Park. 

“This is a testament to what we can be as a team,” said Willis, who had three tackles (two solo and one assisted) and one quarterback hurry. “Now, we just have to consistently do it.”

Punter Tyler Hunt out for season with torn ACL

Dantonio announced after Saturday’s win that punter Tyler Hunt tore his ACL (unspecified which leg) in a non-contact situation Thursday, and will miss the remainder of the season.

Usual starter Jake Hartbarger was lost for the season after suffering a bone bruise and possible fracture in his right leg against Arizona State on Sept. 8.

“I don't think I've ever lost one punter, been on a team that's lost one punter, let alone two,” Dantonio said.

Bryce Baringer, a walk-on who came on to the team the week of the Indiana game this season, is his replacement going forward. Baringer had four punts against the Boilermakers, averaging 38.5 yards.

“Bryce Baringer punted, did a nice job, he was ready to punt,” Dantonio said. “The fourth is Will Przystup if that comes to that, but it was good that (Baringer) had a great game. I thought our punt game, we limited (Moore's) returns as well, had the one big kick-off return.”

Share and discuss “MSU football's win over Purdue one of most 'rewarding' in Dantonio era” on social media.