Tuesday, May 7, 2024

Mark Dantonio done talking Harbaugh, U-M pregame walk incident

<p>Former Head Coach Mark Dantonio walks out of the tunnel with the team before the game against Central Michigan on Sept. 29, 2018 at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans defeated the Chippewas, 31-20.</p>

Former Head Coach Mark Dantonio walks out of the tunnel with the team before the game against Central Michigan on Sept. 29, 2018 at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans defeated the Chippewas, 31-20.

Mark Dantonio is done with talking about Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh's comments on him and his program.

Dantonio said during his weekly news conference Tuesday he's "not going to make any more comments about this situation."

"I've made my comments, and I'm going to let God take care of my battles," Dantonio said. 

Dantonio said every week he sits down and makes a goal card. And on it, he writes down his priorities in his life, with his faith being at the top of the list — which the Wolverines and Harbaugh are not on this week. 

"No. 2: I'm going to take care of my family, No. 3: I'm going to take care of this football program and represent it with class and No. 4: I'm going to worry about Purdue, and the x and o's, and the personnel involved in that," Dantonio said. 

This comes from Michigan State (4-3, 2-2 in Big Ten) having its pregame walk before it took on No. 5 Michigan (7-1, 5-0) this past Saturday morning, which Harbaugh alleged the Spartans "clotheslined" U-M players and ripped the headphones off of defensive back Lavert Hill, igniting a reaction from linebacker Devin Bush, who tore up the Spartan logo at midfield of Spartan Stadium before kickoff.

Michigan State Athletic Communications Associate Director Ben Phlegar said in a statement Monday that both teams were given pregame time sheets, and were in communication about MSU's pregame walk upon arriving at Spartan Stadium from the Kellogg Center.

Phlegar said MSU was scheduled to leave the Kellogg Center around 9:45 a.m. and left at 9:47 a.m. The Spartans were supposed to arrive at Spartan Stadium around 10:00 a.m. and walked onto the field at approximately 10:02 a.m. The Wolverines players taking the field before MSU's pregame walk was agreed upon before the incident, Phlegar said. 

"As a courtesy, Michigan was granted field access before MSU’s arrival with the understanding from both sides that the U of M student-athletes would leave the field during this tradition," Phlegar said. "Michigan was on the field prior to 10 a.m. as previously agreed upon, but when multiple MSU staff members asked both U of M student-athletes and staff members to please move off the field for the pregame field walk, this did not occur." 

"There has never been an on-field issue with this tradition in the 12 years under head coach Mark Dantonio."

Harbaugh said during his weekly news conference Monday that Dantonio's "juvenile" comment was his attempt of "trying to brush [the situation] under the carpet."

"It's unsportsmanlike, it's bush league — and that is putting it very mildly," Harbaugh said. 

Now, Dantonio and his team will prepare for Purdue (4-3, 3-1) at noon Saturday at Spartan Stadium on ESPN. The Boilermakers are on a four-game winning streak, most recently beating then-No. 2 Ohio State 49-20 last Saturday at Ross-Ade Stadium in West Lafayette.

"Very good football team right now, playing hot," Dantonio said. "So, we're going to have our challenges cut out for us."

Share and discuss “Mark Dantonio done talking Harbaugh, U-M pregame walk incident” on social media.