Department of Theatre hosts tenth annual Haunted Auditorium

<p>Theatre junior Camille Thomas looks through make up supplies in preparation for a run through of the Haunted Auditorium on Oct. 27, 2016 at the Auditorium.</p>

Theatre junior Camille Thomas looks through make up supplies in preparation for a run through of the Haunted Auditorium on Oct. 27, 2016 at the Auditorium.

The MSU Department of Theatre will host their tenth annual Haunted Auditorium, or "Haunted Aud," Oct. 27-31 at Fairchild Theatre. This is the department's largest annual fundraiser, with all proceeds funding student initiatives. 

This year's theme is CarnEvil. That means the auditorium will be transformed into an abandoned carnival, and guests must try and escape while encountering creepy carnival-goers and clowns. 

Design senior Rachel Aho and stage management junior Shelby Eppich are producers for this year's Haunted Aud. Aho talked about how the Haunted Aud first got its start. 

"It started as and still is a fundraiser for students," Aho said. "We wanted something that can use the students' strengths in order to help them get money for grants. ... They decided a haunted house would be best."

Eppich talked about the design process behind transforming the auditorium from a theater into a haunted carnival. 

"We sit down with the producers from last year and current producers and talk about how the house can be improved and how we go forward," Eppich said.  "From there ... we pick out our actors ... and we have people submit their designs and collaborate with them and make sure they look good."

Visitors can expect some added frights — including three different routes and an escape room — in honor of the event's tenth anniversary.

"We're hoping people would want to go down multiple times, because there are three routes, so three different experiences," Aho said. "In each of the routes there is an escape room."

On a scale of one to 10, both Aho and Eppich said this year's Haunted Aud is a 10 when it comes to frights. 

Acting senior D.J. Shafer has been involved in the event for the past three years as an actor. He's played a variety of roles, including monsters and magical beings. This year, he's an evil magician. 

"He's sort of a maniac. He likes to torment people, but it's through the lens of a carnival-esque magic show," Shafer said. "I'm also trying to entertain the guest while I'm doing these spells." 

Shafer discussed what he loved the most about playing a role in the fundraiser.

"The thing that I love the most ... is the improvisational nature of it. As an actor, when we're doing musicals and plays we have a set script and role and a bunch of expectations on how to make it perfect," Shafer said. "The cool thing about the haunted house is we may have a set script, we may have lines we repeat every cycle, but you never know what you're going to get in terms of audience participation."

Shafer also talked about a new addition to this year's Haunted Aud that's meant to help keep guests entertained while waiting in line. 

"In the past, we've had super big lines where people have had to wait to get their tickets and for entrance into the Haunted Aud," Shafer said. "This year, we're going to have games that you would see at a fair in line, so they can be involved in the carnival aspect right away."

Shafer said this year's Haunted Aud will be scarier than last year and have a "more grandiose level of production."

Tickets for CarnEvil are $10 and can be purchased at the door. 

Share and discuss “Department of Theatre hosts tenth annual Haunted Auditorium” on social media.