Tuesday, May 7, 2024

Spartan Roundup: Volleyball sweeps Connecticut invitational

Junior midfielder Sadie Misiewicz (24) keeps the ball from Colorado midfielder Megan Massey (8) during the game against Colorado University at DeMartin Stadium on Sep. 9, 2018. The Buffaloes defeated the Spartans 3-0.

Here is the Spartan roundup of what happened in Michigan State sports last week.

Women’s field hockey is 3-4 after playing Yale, Monmouth, and Pacific.

On Monday, Sept. 3, the Spartans lost against Yale in New Haven, CT. Freshman Isa Van der Weij managed to score once in the second half to force the game into overtime. Yale managed to score in the overtime, defeating the Spartans, 1-2.

Friday, Sept. 7, the Spartans faced Monmouth on Ralph Young Field. Both teams scored once during the second half, which led to another one of their games going into overtime. Freshman Maddie McDonough scored her second goal in overtime, leading the Spartans to a 2-1 victory.

Sunday, Sept. 9, the Spartans played against Pacific on Ralph Young Field. The score of this contest resembled the first game last week. Van der Weij scored in the second half to send the game into overtime. They were defeated, 1-2, after Pacific scored in double overtime. 

Their next game is Saturday, Sept. 15 at Ralph Young Field, against Maryland (7-0).

Men’s football lost to Arizona State on Saturday.  

Neither team scored during the first quarter. During the second quarter sophomore kicker Matt Coghlin scored a field goal, which put them on the scoreboard first. The momentum continued into the third quarter as MSU scored both a touchdown and a field goal, while ASU only scored a field goal. Things completely shifted in the fourth, when the Sun Devils scored a touchdown and two field goals. 

Their next game is Saturday, Sept. 22 in Bloomington, Indiana, against Indiana University.  

Women’s volleyball played and won four games in Fairfield, Connecticut over the weekend.

The team started the weekend off playing both Northeastern University and Fairfield University on Friday. The Spartans won all three sets against both teams, which gave them an ending score of 3-0. Saturday the wins continued as they beat both Harvard University and Central Connecticut State University. The victories bring their record to 9-1 overall. 

The Spartans play next on Friday, Sept. 14 at Jenison Field House against University at Albany. 

Women and men’s soccer both had several games this week.

Women’s soccer (5-1-1) played two games this past week at DeMartin Stadium. Thursday, Sept. 7, the Spartans faced Oakland University, and freshman forward Camryn Evans scored a goal in each half to win them the game, 2-0. They lost to the University of Colorado on Sunday, 0-3. 

Their next game will be Thursday, Sept. 13 against Purdue. 

Men’s soccer won both of its games this week. The Spartans beat University of California - Riverside on Monday, Sept. 3, 5-1. On Friday they won, 3-0, against Bowling Green. Freshman forward DeJuan Jones scored the Spartans two goals. 

Next up, the team will play Oakland University on Monday, Sept. 10 at DeMartin Stadium. 

Share and discuss “Spartan Roundup: Volleyball sweeps Connecticut invitational ” on social media.