Michigan State brings NASA astronaut to campus

<p>Former NASA astronaut Michael Foale is set to visit MSU on Sept. 10, 2018. His visit is hosted by the MSU College of Engineering and the Department of Mechanical Engineering.&nbsp;</p>

Former NASA astronaut Michael Foale is set to visit MSU on Sept. 10, 2018. His visit is hosted by the MSU College of Engineering and the Department of Mechanical Engineering. 

The MSU College of Engineering and Department of Mechanical Engineering brings NASA astronaut Dr. Michael Foale to campus on Sept. 10.

An evening lecture with Foale is set for 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. in room 1281 of Anthony Hall. The event is free to students.

A member of the 2017 Astronaut Hall of Fame, Foale completed six space missions in addition to spending over 350 days in space and working on the Hubble Telescope. 

During his talk, Foale will discuss the highlights of his 26-year career.

Dr. Patton Allison, an assistant professor with the Department of Mechanical Engineering, said Foale will speak in two parts.

“For the two-hour talk, he’s going to do it in two parts with a ten minute intermission," Allison said. "For the first part, he will introduce himself and cover how he became an astronaut and will cover the five missions he was involved on, as well as the ISS, so six total. 

"In the second part of his talk, he is going to focus only on his time on the space station Mir and how he survived a collision with a resupply vessel on Mir,” Allison said. 

Time is set aside at the end of the talk for audience members to ask questions and take pictures with Foale.

Share and discuss “Michigan State brings NASA astronaut to campus” on social media.