Need to check dining hours or campus maps? There's an app for that

The new MSU app designed to assist students around campus and increase community involvement is pictured on Sept. 16, 2018. The app was conceived by Michigan State engineering and computer science students.
The new MSU app designed to assist students around campus and increase community involvement is pictured on Sept. 16, 2018. The app was conceived by Michigan State engineering and computer science students. —
Photo by CJ Weiss | The State News

We interact with apps every day — whether it's messaging somebody on the other side of the world or buying tickets to a movie, there are few things that can’t be done by tapping one of the square icons on our phone’s home screen. 

Now, if a student wants to see what’s offered at their nearest dining hall, look at a map of campus, view a schedule of upcoming campus events or read updates from MSU, there’s an app for that, too.

“We have put a large emphasis on improving the student experience at MSU through other tech initiatives like providing WiFi in all dorm halls and Microsoft Office 365 to students at no additional cost," MSU Chief Information Officer Rob McCurdy said. “The mobile app is another initiative we are excited to launch that is in direct response to student requests.”

Development of the MSU app first started as an student project for the capstone program that all computer science majors are required to complete. It was further developed by MSU Information Technology in partnership with ASMSU, Communications and Brand Strategy and Residential and Hospitality Services.

The app, which is available as a free download on iTunes and Google Play, is still in its early days of availability, and some features didn’t make it in for the launch.

“There is absolutely a long list of things we think would make great additions to the app,” Assistant Director of Innovative Platforms E.J. Dyksen said. “We are only just getting started, and there is lots more to come.”

Among those updates, which will be delivered “about monthly,” is a feature that would show students CATA bus routes. 

“We’re happy to say we’re already partnering with CATA to deliver that, and it should be available in the app this semester,” Dyksen said.

Other planned updates would expand event listings beyond those listed on the MSU Events Calendar and integrate sports. 

Students with suggestions for what features should be included in the future can submit their feedback through a section of the app. 

“We’ve partnered with ASMSU to understand some of the major features that students are looking for, and this first release only covers some of those features,” Dyksen said. “We are eager to listen and respond to everyone’s feedback.”

Share and discuss “Need to check dining hours or campus maps? There's an app for that” on social media.