Detroit, Wayne County split proposed by Gelineau at MSU rally

<p>Libertarian gubernatorial candidate Bill Gelineau speaks to the crowd during a speech on Sept. 26, 2018 at Wells Hall.</p>

Libertarian gubernatorial candidate Bill Gelineau speaks to the crowd during a speech on Sept. 26, 2018 at Wells Hall.

Photo by CJ Weiss | The State News

Libertarian gubernatorial candidate Bill Gelineau unveiled what he described as a “bombshell” at a rally held by MSU's Young Americans for Liberty chapter Wednesday evening — a proposal to split Detroit away from Wayne County. 

Late into a speech in which he outlined the basics of his platform, including the ideas of limited government and opposition to party machines, Gelineau explained his plan of separation, dubbed “Detroit 84.”

“The libertarian idea we want to bring out tonight is something called devolution ... In our proposal, which we’re calling ‘Detroit 84,’ ... we’re proposing to divide Wayne County,” Gelineau said.

Gelineau said he hopes that such a division will mitigate friction within Wayne County.

“The city of Detroit and the county of Wayne have been at odds with each other for over 50 years," Gelineau said. "Number one (of the reasons) is to separate the political chicanery that has gone on in Wayne County for a long time.”

He said suburban cities have commanded control within Wayne, with the solution being “to bring democracy closer to the people. The first step of that is to take the city of Detroit and the cities that are encompassed by the city of Detroit and create its own county.”

The creation of a separate county of Detroit could be a solution to the issue of excess government assistance to Detroit, Gelineau said. 

“We think over time this will mean less subsidy from the state. And right now, Wayne County as a whole is a heavily subsidized entity by the state of Michigan,” he said.

Gelineau spoke of a desire to take this separation of powers even further, even as he admitted it would take "intellectual effort" to reverse the effects of annexation.

“We’re going to advocate that the current municipal boundaries of the city of Detroit, the neighborhoods, have the opportunity to become cities on their own,” he said.

Gelineau said his plan would usher in a rehabilitation of the schooling, a revival in the communities, and a lowering of the cost of living in Detroit. Citing Detroit Public Schools’ size — it's the largest district in the state — he envisions an end to the "unwieldy" school district and the future communities’ high schools becoming sources of pride and community similar to those in the surrounding area.

Along with proposing the Detroit 84 plan, Gelineau discussed the issues of voter disenfranchisement.  His proposed solution to this issue is “ranked voting,” in which voters can rank their preferred candidates — in effect allowing them to vote again if a single candidate fails to attain 50 percent of the vote.

After discussing his support for marijuana legalization, Gelineau proposed leniency for those charged for drug use or possession.

“My lieutenant governor and I will convene a board that will determine whether or not you have also committed a violent act in the course of your drug conviction. If you have not, you will be pardoned,” Gelineau said. “Can anybody imagine what we might be able to do with that money? Some educational priorities perhaps, maybe some damn roads,” he said.

The Michigan general election will take place on Nov. 6.

Editor's note: This story has been updated to name the organization that held the event, Young Americans for Liberty.

Share and discuss “Detroit, Wayne County split proposed by Gelineau at MSU rally” on social media.