9/11 memorial held at the MSU Rock brings students together

<p>Members of the MSU College Democrats, the MSU College Republicans and other groups on campus paint the MSU Rock for an annual memorial to remember those lost in the 9/11 attacks.&nbsp;</p>

Members of the MSU College Democrats, the MSU College Republicans and other groups on campus paint the MSU Rock for an annual memorial to remember those lost in the 9/11 attacks. 

Photo by Rachel Hitchcock | The State News

An annual memorial event held at the MSU Rock paid respect to the nearly 3,000 lives lost in the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks.

The memorial was co-hosted by the MSU College Republicans, the MSU College Democrats, the MSU Young Americans for Freedom and the Young Americans for Liberty at MSU.  

The MSU College Republicans and the MSU College Democrats have collaborated to put on the memorial event at the Rock for years, Aleks Oslapas, president of the MSU College Republicans, said. 

“We want to show everyone that even though we have very different opinions politically on campus, at the end of the day, we’re all Americans and we want the best for our country,” Oslapas said. “We think this is a nice way to say that, and give remembrance to every who lost their lives on 9/11."

Oslapas said the groups usually paint an American flag on the Rock and have leaders of the groups speak.

This year, the Rock showcased an American flag with the words "never forget" painted at the bottom.  

Oslapas said he thinks the memorial is a good way to begin the school year and a way for the groups to put their political disagreements aside to pay tribute to the lives lost on 9/11. 

"We all agree that there's going to be nothing political," he said. 

William Qu, an international student who is involved in the MSU College Republicans, said whether or not you're an international student or an American student, it is important to know what happened on 9/11. 

"I have to say, I'm not an American right now, but, personally, I want to be an American in the future," he said. "It just doesn't matter if you are an American or not an American citizen ... it's so tragic."

Qu said that terrorism is something that everyone should unite to end.

"People get hurt," he said. "I do not like to see that."

Qu said he feels it is important for everyone to never forget what happened on 9/11.

"Definitely remember and tell the story to the next generation," he said "Definitely tell your kid. You should as an American citizen remember what happened here and know the story."

Share and discuss “9/11 memorial held at the MSU Rock brings students together” on social media.