Interim President John Engler to testify before U.S. Senate subcommittee

Interim President John Engler speaks during the Board of Trustees meeting on Feb. 16, 2018 at the Hannah Administration Building. (Nic Antaya | The State News)
Interim President John Engler speaks during the Board of Trustees meeting on Feb. 16, 2018 at the Hannah Administration Building. (Nic Antaya | The State News) —

Interim President John Engler will be testifying before a U.S. Senate subcommittee investigating the university's role in handling ex-MSU and USA Gymnastics doctor Larry Nassar's sexual abuse.

Engler has been asked to testify before the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation, Subcommittee on Consumer Protection, Product Safety, Insurance and Data Security, which has been holding hearings related to how complaints about Nassar's abuse were addressed, according to MSU's Communications and Brand Strategy, or CABS. The hearing he has been asked to testify at is scheduled for 2:30 p.m. on July 24 in room 253 of the Russell Senate Office Building.

The subcommittee is calling the hearing "Strengthening and Empowering US Amateur Athletics: Moving Forward with Solutions," CABS said via email. 

Former MSU President Lou Anna K. Simon also testified before the subcommittee in early June about her role in handling Nassar's abuse.  

"I am horrified that Nassar’s crimes happened during my tenure,"  Simon said during the June 5 hearing. "Had I known that Nassar was sexually abusing young women, I would have taken immediate action to prevent him from preying on additional victims, including terminating his employment and reporting him to the police."

There is currently no further information on the subcommittee's website regarding the hearing that Engler will testify at.

Stay with The State News for more updates. 

Share and discuss “Interim President John Engler to testify before U.S. Senate subcommittee ” on social media.