Ex-dean of MSU College of Osteopathic Medicine William Strampel retires

Former MSU dean William Strampel sits during his preliminary hearing  on June 5, 2018 at the 54B District Court. Strampel is charged with four criminal charges including a fourth-degree criminal sexual conduct charge and a felony count of misconduct in office.
Former MSU dean William Strampel sits during his preliminary hearing on June 5, 2018 at the 54B District Court. Strampel is charged with four criminal charges including a fourth-degree criminal sexual conduct charge and a felony count of misconduct in office. —
Photo by Matt Schmucker | The State News

William Strampel, former boss of ex-MSU doctor Larry Nassar, retired amid his criminal case. A retirement agreement, signed July 5, will halt the tenure revocation process sought by MSU Interim President John Engler

Strampel stepped down from his position as dean of MSU’s College of Osteopathic in December 2017 for medical leave. In February, during an investigation into MSU's handling of Nassar's sexual abuse, pornographic images were found on Strampel's personal and work computers. Some of the images are thought to be of MSU students, because of visible MSU apparel.

While facing four criminal charges, including two counts of willful neglect related to his role as dean of MSU’s College of Osteopathic Medicine and a charge of fourth-degree criminal sexual conduct, Strampel has been collecting a $217,903 annual salary along with other benefits. Under the agreement, he will receive a final payment of $175,000 along with basic retiree healthcare coverage.

The agreement bars Strampel from receiving emeritus status. This status is awarded as a tradition to honor retiring faculty. However, Engler cites Strampel's shortcomings in patient safety as reasoning for the revocation.

"As I said before, Strampel has not acted with the level of professionalism expected of an MSU employee, particularly one holding an office with the responsibility of patient safety. His conduct and attitude were unacceptable and went against the values of this university,” Engler said. “While completing the tenure revocation process would have been highly satisfying, his immediate retirement means we have achieved the same goal—the end of the relationship between Strampel and MSU.”

Changes to the university’s tenure policy, which were proposed at the June 22 MSU Board of Trustees meeting, could have caused Strampel to lose benefits if his tenure had been revoked.

The agreement has no impact on Strampel's criminal case. He will be back in court July 12 in Ingham County. 

Share and discuss “Ex-dean of MSU College of Osteopathic Medicine William Strampel retires” on social media.