Trustee Mosallam calls for internal review, reform in proposal

<p>Board member Brian Mosallam checks his phone before the town meeting on Feb. 1, 2018 at Kellogg Center. The town hall brought together students, staff and members of the MSU community to discuss the current climate of the campus.&nbsp;</p>

Board member Brian Mosallam checks his phone before the town meeting on Feb. 1, 2018 at Kellogg Center. The town hall brought together students, staff and members of the MSU community to discuss the current climate of the campus. 

Photo by Sylvia Jarrus | The State News

In an eight-page proposal released Tuesday, MSU Board of Trustees member Brian Mosallam called for the implementation of new and updated policies that would work toward forming a more open university administration in the coming months. 

“Today, I propose new and revised policies that I call on MSU’s Board of Trustees to adopt, and for our administration to implement,” Mosallam said in an email that accompanied the proposal documents. 

Mosallam's proposal included several points of action. The first was a suggestion for an independent, internal review to be conducted into whether or not MSU adequately handled the Nassar matter.

Additional points listed in Mosallam’s document call for the establishment of a sexual misconduct survivors’ advisory committee and the appointment of one faculty member and one student to the Board of Trustees to aid in the search for a new university president, among others. Mosallam’s proposal would require five votes from the Board of Trustees to pass. 

Mosallam’s proposal comes months after the criminal sentencing of ex-MSU doctor Nassar in Ingham County Circuit Court earlier this year. Nassar was convicted in January of sexually abusing hundreds of young women and girls during a 20-year period of time at the university. Since then, MSU's administrative leaders have faced intense scrutiny as to how Nassar was able to operate unchecked for years. 

Mosallam follows in the footsteps of MSU students, faculty, community members and survivors of Nassar in calling for the university to undergo a remediation process to ensure that sexual predators like Nassar won’t thrive in the university’s future. 

“MSU should no longer stand in a defensive posture,” Mosallam said in the email. 

He continued, “MSU should mercilessly cull out all that which permeated and perpetuated the culture that allowed for the likes of Larry Nassar and all the other sexual misconduct on this campus to fester and go improperly addressed."

Read Mosallam’s full proposal below.

Share and discuss “Trustee Mosallam calls for internal review, reform in proposal ” on social media.