Ex-MSU President Lou Anna K. Simon to testify before Senate on Nassar next week

<p>Former MSU President Lou Anna K. Simon walks into the Red Cedar Room before a press conference on Sept. 23, 2017 at the Kellogg Center.&nbsp;</p>

Former MSU President Lou Anna K. Simon walks into the Red Cedar Room before a press conference on Sept. 23, 2017 at the Kellogg Center. 

Photo by Carly Geraci | The State News

Former MSU President Lou Anna K. Simon was served with a subpoena on Wednesday to appear before a U.S. Senate subcommittee investigating how past processes to protect Olympic athletes from abuse have failed, according to The New York Times.

After voluntarily agreeing to appear before the Senate Subcommittee on Consumer Protection, Product Safety, Insurance and Data Security, Simon was subpoenaed by U.S. marshals to testify next week.

Under a subpoena, Simon will be required to attend the hearing on June 5 as a witness. If she fails appear before the subcommittee, she could be held in contempt of court and could be arrested. 

This article was updated at 2:30 p.m. on May 30. 

Former MSU President Lou Anna K. Simon will testify next week before a U.S. Senate subcommittee investigating the Olympic community's role in handling sexual assault in the wake of ex-MSU and USA Gymnastics doctor Larry Nassar's sexual abuse.

Simon will testify next Tuesday at 3 p.m. before the Senate Subcommittee on Consumer Protection, Product Safety, Insurance and Data Security, according to the subcommittee's website

Simon's testimony will serve as her first public commentary on the Nassar crisis since her resignation in late January.

She stepped down as MSU's president on Jan. 24, 2018 amid outrage from the MSU community in light of the university's handling of reports and allegations against Nassar. 

The hearing, titled “Preventing Abuse in Olympic and Amateur Athletics: Ensuring a Safe and Secure Environment for Our Athletes,” is set to begin at 3:00 p.m. on Tuesday, June 5, 2018 in Washington, D.C.

A live video of the hearing will also be available.

According to the subcommittee's description of the hearing, it will focus on "how past processes to protect our Olympic athletes from abuse have failed to keep athletes safe and explore current efforts to provide a safe environment for amateur athletes."

Rhonda Faehn, former women's program director at USA Gymnastics, and Steve Penny, former president of USA Gymnastics, will also be testifying next Tuesday.

Stay with The State News for more on this story. 

Share and discuss “Ex-MSU President Lou Anna K. Simon to testify before Senate on Nassar next week” on social media.