55th annual East Lansing Art Festival to be held this weekend

Lansing resident Ingrid Blixt's tent is pictured during the East Lansing Art Festival on May 21, 2017. The East Lansing Art Festival is an event meant to bring the East Lansing community together through appreciation of art.
Lansing resident Ingrid Blixt's tent is pictured during the East Lansing Art Festival on May 21, 2017. The East Lansing Art Festival is an event meant to bring the East Lansing community together through appreciation of art. —
Photo by Jon Famurewa | The State News

As spring semester comes to a close, East Lansing is kicking off the summer with art, music and poetry. The 55th annual East Lansing Art Festival, or ELAF, will be held on Albert Avenue May 19 and May 20. 

Festival director Michelle Carlson said there will be musical performances during the event, in addition to a pop-up art gallery in the Marriott Hotel and an architectural installation titled “Sensory” at the intersection of Division Street and Albert Avenue. 

Established artists, as well as emerging artists, will gather to display their work.  Local artists will be demonstrating various forms of pottery, class work, painting and more both days. Musical performances by Summer of Sol, the East Lansing High School Jazz band and Avon Bon will be held on the southeast corner of Albert Avenue & Bailey Street.

The Smokin' Sleddog Records Stage, located on the northwest corner of Charles Street and Albert Avenue, will also exhibit a diverse group of musical acts throughout the weekend.

A Middle School poetry reading, set for 11:30 a.m. on Sunday, will be preceded by the 4th Annual ELAF Poetry Reading at 1 p.m. The reading will be sponsored in part by the Center for Poetry division of MSU's Residential College of Arts and Humanities, or RCAH, and the Lansing Poetry Club.

Carlson encourages people to "stay downtown and enjoy the music."

Share and discuss “55th annual East Lansing Art Festival to be held this weekend” on social media.