Women's golf wins back-to-back Big Ten Championships

<p>Senior Sarah Burnham looks at her shot at the Mary Fossum Invitational in East Lansing in fall 2017. (Photo courtesy: MSU Athletic Communications)</p>

Senior Sarah Burnham looks at her shot at the Mary Fossum Invitational in East Lansing in fall 2017. (Photo courtesy: MSU Athletic Communications)

Women's golf clinched its second-straight Big Ten title Sunday — its fifth in the last eight seasons — by shooting a team 2-over par 290 en route to a 5-under par 859 for the tournament. The team's 859 is the second-lowest 54-hole score in the history of the tournament.

The Spartans entered the day one shot back of Maryland at TPC River's Bend in Maineville, Ohio, just outside of Cincinnati. The Terrapins shot a 7-over par 295 and finished in a tie with Illinois for second on the tournament.

The Spartans clinched the championship with five birdies in the last two holes from seniors Sarah Burnham and Katie Sharp, as well as sophomore Allyson Geer. 

Burnham finished second in the tournament individually, compiling a 5-under par 211 during the three days. She also won the Mary Fossum Award, named for the founder of the Spartans' women's program and given to the Big Ten player with the lowest stroke average to par over the course of the season. Burnham averaged -1.21 to par for the season.

Geer tied for fourth place with a 4-under par 212, including birdies on her 17th and 18th holes of the tournament. 

Share and discuss “Women's golf wins back-to-back Big Ten Championships” on social media.