Strampel advocated for bill that removed advisory committee in 2013

A law passed in December 2013 removed the state government oversight committee for the MSU College of Osteopathic Medicine. And four months later, the Title IX investigation into ex-MSU and USA Gymnastics doctor Larry Nassar began.

The oversight committee was created in 1969 when the college became state-supported. The college was previously a private institution in Pontiac, Michigan, according to a previous State News article.

Moving the college was a big deal because it was the first time a college of osteopathic medicine was associated with a public institution or major university. It was also the first time two medical schools were on the same campus, according to the aforementioned State News article.

The bill to remove the oversight committee was introduced by eight representatives. Only one remains in the Michigan House of Representatives, Joseph Graves, R-Fenton. The other seven could not return because of term limits.

It repealed three sections of the bill, one which created the board, established the manner of appointment, terms and number of members. The next regulated the election of officers, powers and duties. The third section created rules, regulations and recommendations, according to the fiscal analysis of the bill

Then-Dean William Strampel supported the repeal of the state advisory board because reporting to both the state and the College Advisory Council, or CAC, within the College of Osteopathic Medicine was an unnecessary and outdated procedure, he said according to the previous State News article.

The repeal of the state government committee did not remove the CAC. 

The CAC consists of faculty members and one student from each class. Faculty members serve for two years, students for one. Members cannot serve more than two consecutive terms, according to bylaws of the College of Osteopathic Medicine last amended Sept. 26, 2017.

Also, the CAC is required to meet once a semester. Additional meetings can be called for by the dean, the CAC chairperson and/or at least five voting members of the council.

Three months after the state advisory committee was repealed, in March 2014, the Office for Inclusion and Intercultural Initiatives, now known as the Office of Institutional Equity, received a complaint from one of Nassar's patients who said Nassar sexually abused her. An investigation was started in April 2014, and in July, Nassar was cleared of any wrongdoing.

As part of the clearance, Nassar was required to have a chaperone in the room during procedures "of anything close to a sensitive area," modify procedures to reduce skin-to-skin contact and that anyone new in the practice would be "oriented to be sure they understand these requirements."

However, at least 12 assaults were reported following Nassar’s clearance, according to a previous State News article

In 2013, State Rep. Sam Singh, D-East Lansing, voted for the bill after a conversation with Strampel, according to a previous State News article

Singh was on vacation when contacted for comment, according to his office, and his communications office did not return request for comment at time of publication.

Strampel was arraigned in 54B District Court on March 27, 2018, on one felony count of misconduct in office, a high-court misdemeanor of fourth-degree criminal sexual conduct and two counts of willful neglect of duty as a public officer.

A video of Nassar performing "treatment" on a young female patient was discovered on Strampel's computer, along with approximately 50 photos of bare vaginas, nude and semi-nude women.

There are 34 osteopathic colleges in the United States and MSU's is the only one in Michigan, according to the American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine

Share and discuss “Strampel advocated for bill that removed advisory committee in 2013” on social media.