Tuesday, May 14, 2024

MSU Bakers opens storefront, offers teal treats for sexual assault awareness

Photo courtesy MSU Bakers
Photo courtesy MSU Bakers

MSU Bakers announced two new initiatives in March: A new full-time storefront and a pair of specialty treats benefitting the MSU Sexual Assault Program.

The new storefront is located at 220 Service Road in a renovated space on the side of the building MSU Bakers has occupied since 2007. 

While MSU Bakers’ products have been made-to-order and available at Sparty’s locations and dining halls across campus, until now, the community has not been able to walk in and purchase goods from a dedicated store, Culinary Services Communications Manager Leah Ball said.

“The storefront space went through a soft launch in the fall for several months; during this time, it was promoted primarily on Eat at State social media accounts,” Ball said in an email. “It was officially opened to the campus community in mid-January, with information shared on MSUToday and other outlets to help spread the word.”

msu-bakers-saam-initiative-teal-swirl-cupcakes

Ball said the storefront is a big step forward for MSU Bakers, which is nearing 50 years in operation.

“This new venture allows the team to serve more customers and increase awareness of what they provide to the thousands who live and work on campus,” Ball said in the email. “It’s a great opportunity to experiment with different promotions and product offerings to see what appeals to customers as well. … On a Saturday before a home football game, fans may have the chance to purchase their beloved Game Day Cookies to share with friends and family at a tailgate.”

In an initiative to support Sexual Assault Awareness Month, MSU Bakers will also have teal cupcakes and cookies available throughout April. A dozen of either treat will cost $15, with $1 from every order benefiting the MSU Sexual Assault Program.

“It’s important that we recognize the situation, support survivors and be a part of the positive cultural transformation on campus,” Bakery Manager Cindy Baswell said in a press release about the teal products. “Cupcakes and cookies are our path to do that and we’re honored to provide support to this critical organization.”

Share and discuss “MSU Bakers opens storefront, offers teal treats for sexual assault awareness” on social media.