Residence, termination and more details of John Engler's contract

<p>Interim President John Engler lets survivor Kaylee Lorincz know her time to speak is up during the Board of Trustees meeting on April 13, 2018 at Hannah Administration Building. (C.J. Weiss | The State News)</p>

Interim President John Engler lets survivor Kaylee Lorincz know her time to speak is up during the Board of Trustees meeting on April 13, 2018 at Hannah Administration Building. (C.J. Weiss | The State News)

Here are six takeaways from Interim President John Engler’s contract. The State News obtained the contract through a Freedom of Information Act request.

Residence

Engler uses Cowles House to hold official functions and the “performance of his duties as Interim President,” according to the contract. It is unclear if Engler is living at Cowles House. MSU Communications and Brand Strategies did not respond to request for comment at the time of publication.

Only two presidents have not lived at Cowles House, former president Lou Anna K. Simon and Walter Adams, who was president from 1969-1970. 

Salary

Engler receives a salary of $510,399. He chose to donate the salary back to the university to the organizations of his choice. He waived healthcare and retirement benefits.

Evaluations

Engler must provide the Board of Trustees with a written and oral reports as requested. A review must be completed annually, if not more often. 

Termination

Engler can be terminated from his position for a number of reasons. Those include, but are not limited to, a lack of attempt to perform his duties or follow the legal direction of the board; willfully committing misconduct, including fraud; conviction, indictment or guilty plea to a felony; and being unable to perform his duties for 90 days.

If Engler wishes to resign, he must provide three months notice to the Board of Trustees. The board can terminate Engler at anytime without cause upon written notice.

Travel and transportation

A vehicle and driver are provided for any travel related to official university business. The board pays for any “reasonable travel expenses, hotel bills, and other necessary and proper expenses when the Interim President is traveling or in attendance at places other than the University’s campus on the University’s business.” If Engler’s wife, Michelle Engler, travels on business with him, her expenses are paid for as well.

Miscellaneous 

Engler is allowed to serve on other boards and commissions, as long as it does not interfere with official university business. If he chooses to join a new board, he must receive approval from Board of Trustees Chairperson Brian Breslin.

He cannot sell or disclose information “nonpublic, proprietary or confidential information” he learns throughout his tenure as interim president.

Share and discuss “Residence, termination and more details of John Engler's contract” on social media.