Linebacker Chris Frey Jr. signed by Carolina Panthers as free agent

<p>Linebacker Chris Frey runs his 40 yard dash at MSU's pro day on March on March 23 at the Duffy Daugherty Football Building. MSU worked out five players at the pro day.</p>

Linebacker Chris Frey runs his 40 yard dash at MSU's pro day on March on March 23 at the Duffy Daugherty Football Building. MSU worked out five players at the pro day.

Photo by Matt Schmucker | The State News

Former MSU linebacker Chris Frey Jr. is set to join the Carolina Panthers as an undrafted free agent. 

When the 2018 NFL Draft ended April 28, Frey Jr. remained undrafted. But, now he will have the chance to move to a professional career in the coming months. 

On the same day that the draft came to a close, the MSU senior made an announcement via Twitter and Instagram that he would be continuing his football career with the Carolina Panthers. Frey Jr., a native of Upper Arlington, Ohio, said that it was something he’d been dreaming about for a long time. 

“My entire life I have dreamed of playing in the NFL,” Frey Jr. said. “I told myself drafted or undrafted I would show up everyday and work my ass off to prove myself."

Frey Jr. made headlines as a captain of the team that flipped a 3-9 finish in 2016 to a 10-3 winning season in 2017. He concluded his MSU career “with 193 career tackles in 52 games, including 25 straight starts," according to the MSU Athletics website,

Frey Jr. was also named defensive MVP after his team’s 42-17 victory over Washington State in the 2017 Holiday Bowl.

MSU Football congratulated Frey Jr. on Twitter following his announcement. 

Share and discuss “Linebacker Chris Frey Jr. signed by Carolina Panthers as free agent” on social media.