Alumni Association executive director resigns amid Title IX Investigation

<p>Associate Vice President for Alumni Relations and Executive Director for the MSU Alumni Association Scott Westerman gives a speech at the anniversary of the MSU Evening College on Sept. 21, 2011. (Mo Hnatiuk | The State News)</p>

Associate Vice President for Alumni Relations and Executive Director for the MSU Alumni Association Scott Westerman gives a speech at the anniversary of the MSU Evening College on Sept. 21, 2011. (Mo Hnatiuk | The State News)

The executive director of the MSU Alumni Association resigned and is under investigation by the Office for Institutional Equity, MSU's Title IX office.

Scott Westerman, also associate vice president for alumni relations, notified MSU of his resignation Monday, MSU Vice President and University Spokesperson Emily Guerrant said via email. Westerman's resignation is effective July 31. In his resignation letter, Westerman said he is moving to Florida to be closer to family, Guerrant said.

Guerrant confirmed a complaint was filed against Westerman with the OIE in February, and an OIE investigation is ongoing.

Westerman was appointed in January 2010, Guerrant said. He obtained a bachelor's degree in telecommunication from MSU in 1978.

Bob Thomas will serve as interim director of the Alumni Association while a search is conducted for a new executive director, Guerrant said.

Westerman released a statement to The State News on his resignation.

"I was recently surprised to learn that I am the subject of an OIE inquiry," Westerman said in the statement. "It covers a brief period near the start of my tenure, is not a police matter, and naturally, I am fully cooperating with with investigators. I won’t have further comment until their work is complete. With regard to our departure, we have been planning to return to Florida for some time. The inquiry was not a factor in that decision."

Editor's Note: This article was updated with Westerman's statement at 1:36 p.m.

Share and discuss “Alumni Association executive director resigns amid Title IX Investigation” on social media.