Moving Forward event brings conversation around sex assault off campus

<p>East Lansing City Hall pictured on Sept. 12, 2017, on Linden Street. Here, the City Council meets to discuss residents&#x27; concerns.</p>

East Lansing City Hall pictured on Sept. 12, 2017, on Linden Street. Here, the City Council meets to discuss residents' concerns.

Photo by Anntaninna Biondo | The State News

Residents and advocates for survivors of sexual assault came together to discuss moving forward at the East Lansing Public Library on Saturday.

While the event featured representatives from MSU Safe Place and the university's Sexual Assault Program, it had been billed as a way to bring the productive discussions at MSU out into the East Lansing community.

“We know there have been discussions on campus, but we recognize that there is a need for a safe place to talk, grieve and heal in the East Lansing community as well," said Kristin Shelley, director of the East Lansing Public Library, in a release. "Our entire community has been affected by the sexual assault tragedies surrounding Larry Nassar, none more so than the survivors."

Erin Roberts, executive director of End Violent Encounters, or EVE, said it's not as if the conversation around sexual assault has been limited to MSU in the aftermath of Nassar's crimes — something Saturday's event proves.

"I don't think that, outside of the university structure, people are really differentiating, because it happened at Twistars, it happened in Holt where he lived, it happened on the national stage in the gymnastics world," Roberts said. "The university is a hub of communication about it, but I find that the whole community is engaged in trying to create the change."

The event, which began with about an hour of small group discussion before groups reported back to the whole room, provoked impassioned discussion about the best ways MSU, East Lansing and society at large can prevent sexual assault.

The discussions were facilitated largely by intern ambassadors from the Community Relations Coalition, or CRC, an organization that seeks to foster communication between MSU students and permanent East Lansing residents. 

From addressing "toxic masculnity" to encouraging people to be accountable for and address their ignorance on the root causes of sexual assault, residents offered no shortage of possible pathways toward ending sexual violence.

Attendees also discussed an email update sent from Interim President John Engler late Friday afternoon. In the email, Engler announced the creation of the Office of Civil Rights and Title IX Education and Compliance, which will add 12 university jobs regarding sexual assault prevention, education and outreach.

The discussion didn't end with Saturday's event; to follow up, the CRC will release a document summarizing the results from the whole group discussion in the near future.

Erica Schmittdiel, advocacy coordinator for MSU Safe Place and the Capital Area Response Effort, said the magnitude of Nassar's crimes — more than 250 women have accused the former MSU doctor — shouldn't mask the pervasiveness of sexual assault on smaller scales.

"Sadly, the events that have happened with the Larry Nassar case have made international news, so it is not just an issue that is affecting campus," Schmittdiel said. "As horrific as the Larry Nassar situation is — and it is truly horrific — it is not an isolated incident.

"Maybe we don't have somebody perpetrating on 250 or more individuals, but we have sexual assault that happens every single day in our community and communities across the nation."

Participants made this point repeatedly and said the Nassar case was an extreme example of a culture structured to enable sexual violence.

Community-oriented discussions are crucial to ending sexual assault, said Tashmica Torok, founder and executive director of the Firecracker Foundation, a resource center for children and teens who have survived sexual trauma.

Torok — like Roberts, who said community involvement keeps her "energized" — said an open exchange of ideas can benefit even those like herself who spend their lives working to end sexual assault.

"It's really good to feel like we're making small change rather than always thinking about the bigger picture," Torok said. "It leaves me with a sense of hope that people are invested in seeing an end to sexual violence and willing to spend their Saturday with us."

Schmittdiel also praised residents for coming out to the event and working to combat an issue that goes far deeper than one university or one community.

"It's very important that we come together and talk about this," Schmittdiel said. "It's not a fun topic, but I was so heartened to see so many people come out today who want to address these issues, and that's really the only way we're going to solve it." 

Share and discuss “Moving Forward event brings conversation around sex assault off campus” on social media.