Engler addresses Spencer, litigation and more in letter to community

Interim President John Engler speaks during the Board of Trustees meeting on Feb. 16, 2018 at the Hannah Administration Building. (Nic Antaya | The State News)
Interim President John Engler speaks during the Board of Trustees meeting on Feb. 16, 2018 at the Hannah Administration Building. (Nic Antaya | The State News) —

MSU Interim President John Engler addressed the MSU community in a letter Friday evening, touching on several issues which have affected campus in recent weeks.

Engler started by praising student groups for creating peaceful alternatives to white nationalist Richard Spencer's March 5 visit to MSU, noting Spencer's gathering had an embarrassingly small crowd of 30 to 40 people. 

"Even though, as a public institution, we were legally required to rent space, our legal team in federal court negotiated a location off the main campus and during spring break to minimize danger and disruption," Engler wrote. 

"Through police agencies' thorough professionalism, injuries resulting from the confrontation between anti-Spencer and pro-Spencer groups were kept to a minimum and there was no property damage."

Engler called MSU a proudly diverse community, one which honors free speech while still holding people accountable for speech and action.

"Interestingly, after the failed experience at MSU, Richard Spencer announced he would be cancelling further appearances on college campuses," Engler said.

"I’m especially proud of MSU students and others who shunned the racist gathering and chose to attend other events offered that day, and possibly helped end this traveling road show of hate."

Engler also touched on his testimony at the Senate Higher Education Appropriations Subcommittee March 16, saying he had a frank discussion with the legislature regarding the status of Nassar-related lawsuits.

The interim president maintained his concern regarding the package of sexual assault prevention bills passed by the senate last week, writing the bills were well-intentioned but posed "severe financial threats" to not only universities but all public and private employers in the state.

However, Engler voiced his support for bills MSU recognized as being helpful to survivors of sexual assault, such as bills that expands the number of mandatory reporters and increases criminal penalties for those convicted. 

"Regarding the civil lawsuits brought against MSU by some of the survivors, we continue to seek a fair resolution," Engler wrote. "My goal from the start has been to resolve the lawsuits while concurrently assuring that such abuse could never happen again. We are making significant progress on all fronts."

At the end of the letter, Engler also discussed the recently released Husch Blackwell "Phase 2" Title IX report, which stated MSU students are misinformed about the university's resources and procedures. Engler moved to create a new office to oversee outreach and prevention efforts at MSU earlier Friday in response to the report. More details about the office can be found here.

Share and discuss “Engler addresses Spencer, litigation and more in letter to community” on social media.