Cassius Winston named finalist for Bob Cousy Award

<p>Sophomore forward Cassius Winston (5) calls a play as he brings the ball up the court during the game against Indiana on Feb. 3, 2018 at Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall. The Spartans beat the Hoosiers 63-60 (C.J. Weiss | The State News)</p>

Sophomore forward Cassius Winston (5) calls a play as he brings the ball up the court during the game against Indiana on Feb. 3, 2018 at Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall. The Spartans beat the Hoosiers 63-60 (C.J. Weiss | The State News)

The Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame announced Monday that sophomore guard Cassius Winston was named a finalist for the 2018 Bob Cousy Award, which recognizes the top point guard in Division I men's college basketball.

A list of 20 candidates released in October was narrowed down to 10. That list will again be trimmed next month to just five in March, and the winner of the award will be announced on April 6.

The Detroit native is averaging 12.3 points per game and seven assists per game on the season, compared to 6.7 points per game and 5.2 assists per game last season.

Winston ranks No. 1 in the Big Ten in assists per game and true shooting percentage at 70.2 percent.

The Spartans will resume action Tuesday night against Iowa. Tipoff is scheduled for 9 p.m.

Share and discuss “Cassius Winston named finalist for Bob Cousy Award ” on social media.