Ice hockey splits weekend series with Ohio State

Sophomore defenseman Mitch Eliot (52) watches the puck after taking a hit during the game against Minnesota on Jan. 18, 2018 at Munn Ice Arena. The Spartans fell to the Gophers 5-4.
Sophomore defenseman Mitch Eliot (52) watches the puck after taking a hit during the game against Minnesota on Jan. 18, 2018 at Munn Ice Arena. The Spartans fell to the Gophers 5-4. —
Photo by Sylvia Jarrus | The State News

In their final meetings of the season, the Spartans spilt the weekend with No. 5 Ohio State University Buckeyes on the road.

On Friday, the Buckeyes took the first victory by beating the Spartans, 4-2. Sophomore forward Logan Lambdin and junior defenseman Zach Osburn scored the lone two goals for their team.

Sophomore goaltender John Lethemon gave up only three goals, and the Buckeyes’ fourth goal was an empty netter scored by Ohio State junior forward Dakota Joshua. The Spartans outshot the Buckeyes, 27-21.

The Spartans rallied back on the second night of the series with a 6-3 upset win against Ohio State. 

Sophomore defenseman Butrus Ghafari scored his second goal of the season to start the game off three minutes into the game. A couple of minutes following, freshman forward Austin Kamer would score his first collegiate goal of his career to bring his team up 2-0.

Sophomore forward Patrick Khodorenko made the third goal of the night, but the Buckeyes’ Joshua struck back to make it 3-1 before the end of the first. Freshman forward David Keefer, senior defenseman Carson Gatt and Lambdin also scored to help lead their team to their victory.

Lethemon played the entire game and the Buckeyes changed their goalie a little more than halfway through the game. 

The Spartans will return home this weekend to face University of Michigan for the fourth time this season. The puck drop is at 7:05 p.m. on Feb. 9 at Munn Ice Arena. 

Share and discuss “Ice hockey splits weekend series with Ohio State” on social media.