Sunday, May 19, 2024

Sen. Peters calls for independent investigation into MSU

<p>Then-U.S. Representative Gary Peters, D-Bloomfield Township, Mich., addresses the people attending Michigan delegation breakfast at the Embassy Suites in Concord, N.C., on Thursday, Sept. 6, 2012. (Samantha Radecki/The State News)</p>

Then-U.S. Representative Gary Peters, D-Bloomfield Township, Mich., addresses the people attending Michigan delegation breakfast at the Embassy Suites in Concord, N.C., on Thursday, Sept. 6, 2012. (Samantha Radecki/The State News)

Michigan Sen. Gary Peters issued a statement Thursday calling for MSU to commission an independent investigation following ex-MSU and USA Gymnastics doctor Larry Nassar’s sexual abuse scandal, according to a press release. 

Following Nassar’s sentencing on Wednesday, MSU President Lou Anna K. Simon resigned amid calls for her job. The statement comes after a report from ESPN's Outside the Lines on MSU’s failure to send all files on Nassar to federal officials.

Peters' statement also calls for congressional hearings and investigations into sexual abuse of college and amateur athletes. 

“In order to make systemic changes in the way these cases are handled, we must understand why there have been multiple instances of major sexual abuse scandals involving young adult and child athletes, as well as neglectful indifference by officials who should have protected them,” Peters said in the statement.

The time has come for the public to know who is responsible for failing to stop Nassar’s years of sexual abuse, Peters said.

“It would seem that after the failures at Pennsylvania State University and Baylor University, we still have not learned how to create institutional safeguards to protect students and children on college campuses,” Peters said.

Peters will also be introducing legislation to “ensure that the leaders of colleges and universities have a clear responsibility and a requirement to be informed of all Title IX investigations involving employees."

Following a week of more 160 victim impact statements given during Nassar's sentencing in Ingham County, the public needs to assist in change, the statement said. 

“We need to show that we heard them, that we listened to them, and that their bravery can be a positive force for change,” Peters said in the statement. “Our children are watching, and the victims and survivors deserve nothing less.”

Share and discuss “Sen. Peters calls for independent investigation into MSU” on social media.