Nassar sentencing mid-day Thursday: MSU senior speaks, among others

<p>Nassar listens to former gymnast Jeanette Antolin give her statement on Jan. 17, 2018, at the Veterans Memorial Court at 313 W Kalamazoo St., Lansing. Antolin was on the U.S. national team from 1995-2000.&nbsp;</p>

Nassar listens to former gymnast Jeanette Antolin give her statement on Jan. 17, 2018, at the Veterans Memorial Court at 313 W Kalamazoo St., Lansing. Antolin was on the U.S. national team from 1995-2000. 

Photo by Sylvia Jarrus | The State News

Amid a slew of cameras, reporters, onlookers and ex-MSU and USA Gymnastics doctor Larry Nassar himself, four women and girls read victim impact statements by mid-day Thursday.

Nassar's sentencing for seven first degree charges of criminal sexual conduct in Ingham County started Tuesday and continued Wednesday. Thursday marks the third of four scheduled days for the court hearing—a length of time provided so all victims who would like to share their victim impact statements can have the chance to do so.

A total of 105 women and girls are scheduled to speak, but the number could continue to change as the sentencing progresses. The original number of scheduled speakers was 98.

All four women and girls who spoke Thursday criticized MSU and/or MSU's administration for how they have handled the situation. 

Among those who criticized MSU by mid-day Thursday was Lindsey Lemke, a current hospitality business senior at MSU. Lemke was a captain of the MSU gymnastics team for the 2017 season.

During her victim impact statement, Lemke addressed Nassar directly.

"Here I am, Larry," she said. "I am 22 years old and I have had to put myself together after you broke me, piece by piece."

Lemke also addressed John Geddert, Kathie Klages and MSU President Lou Anna K. Simon, who were not in attendance. 

Geddert is the founder of Twistars Gymnastics Club, where many of the abuses occurred. Lemke said Geddert thought of his gymnasts as nothing more than a "dollar sign" and said he didn't care about his gymnasts as people.

Klages is the former MSU gymnastic's head coach. She retired a day after she was suspended by MSU following accusations that claimed she knew of Nassar's abuse. Lemke said she is disgusted by Klages and said she is a "coward."

Simon, MSU's president, was in attendance for the second half of Wednesday's sentencing, but was not in attendance Thursday morning.

Lemke said she doesn't know how Simon is still MSU's president. 

"You will never be half the person I have become," she said. "You will never be as strong, and you will never be as brave."

To all of Nassar's enablers, Lemke said:

"I hope you're all scared, because you've pissed off the wrong army of women." 

Ingham County Circuit Court Judge Rosemarie Aquilina will sentence Nassar following the victim impact statements, which are estimated to be completed Friday afternoon. His sentence range is 25-40 years per charge.

Nassar pleaded guilty to a total of 10 charges of first degree criminal sexual conduct—seven in Ingham County and three in Eaton County. His sentencing for the Eaton County charges is scheduled for Jan. 31.

He has already been sentenced to 60 years in prison for three charges related to child pornography. Nassar is a defendant in nine lawsuits, all of which list MSU, MSU's Board of Trustees and USA Gymnastics as defendants.

Stay with The State News for continued coverage of the sentencing through our live blog, through our Twitter and by watching for new articles on our website.

Share and discuss “Nassar sentencing mid-day Thursday: MSU senior speaks, among others” on social media.