Black History Mobile Museum to visit East Lansing

Vice president of Student Affairs and Services, Dr. Maybank reads a speech to the crowd  on Jan. 15, 2018 at Beaumont Tower. Students, professors and Michigan residents marched to Beaumont Tower to commemorate the life and teachings of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Vice president of Student Affairs and Services, Dr. Maybank reads a speech to the crowd on Jan. 15, 2018 at Beaumont Tower. Students, professors and Michigan residents marched to Beaumont Tower to commemorate the life and teachings of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. —
Photo by Sylvia Jarrus | The State News

A piece of black history is coming to the East Lansing Jan. 31 in honor of Black History Month. 

The Black History 101 Mobile Museum was founded by Khalid el-Hakim 26 years ago and has been presented in 28 states. It will be available to the public, free of charge, at the East Lansing Public Library.

The collection includes more than 7,000 artifacts that represent a variety time periods, including pieces from the Transatlantic slave trade all the way up to pieces from current times.

El-Hakim collected the artifacts of the museum himself.

“The museum was started because of my experience of being a student in the K-12 system and there being omissions of black history in the curriculum and textbooks we were reading,” el-Hakim said. “I just knew instinctively, from just my own understanding of this life, that we had made a lot more contributions to society than what we were learning about in class.” 

He began to fill in the gaps he felt were missing in college. El-Hakim sifted through antique shops, used bookstores, garage sales and flea markets to string together this collection. 

The public can view the museum from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. at 950 Abbot Road. El-Hakim will speak at 1 p.m. 

“The takeaway would be for people to be inspired to go do research on their own,” el-Hakim said. “To have a lense, to critique school curriculums, as well as museums that have voices that are marginalized or silenced in those spaces.” 

Share and discuss “Black History Mobile Museum to visit East Lansing” on social media.